Hyperdrive

Nepaiphone

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
I just upgraded from a mid 2011 to a 2017, it was recommended i get the hyperdrive to get my ports back (HDMI was a must for my monitor) seems when i use it the drive and MBP get pretty warm. Is this normal?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
While researching it a while back, I recall reading a few instances where people reported that it got warm, but I don’t have one and thus, cannot validate their claim. Hopefully, someone who can will reply soon.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I also don’t have a hyperdrive but did some quick searching. It seems it is normal for it to get warm as long as it’s not overheating and shutting down. Hopefully we have some members here with a hyperdrive than can give you a more definitive answer though.

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
I use the Hyperdrive on my 2016 15.4” MacBook Pro.
I have a 23” external monitor connected to it via an HDMI Cable.
I also have my usb-c Charger Cable connected to it.
I have not noticed it nor my Mac getting warm.
Good Luck

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I don't have a hyperdrive, BUT I do have several other models, in particular, a CHOE TECH, and a Sunteck, both have not had any heat issues for me. I love the CHOE TECH one in particular because it has a network jack as WELL as HDMI, USB 3.0, SD slot AND USB C pasthrough. The downside to it, is that it attaches with a small cord, and does not plug directly in as the Hyperdive. My Sunteck is very similar to the Hyperdrive but with one less USB C port.

lusid1

Dec 4, 2016
Visit site
I have a hyperdrive, and I haven't noticed it getting warm. I'll have to pay closer attention to it. I'm running a lot through it. its driving HDMI-1, a USB gig-E adapter, and a bus powered USB HDD, and its passthrough port goes to an apple HMDI adapter driving HDMI-2, my USB Speakerphone, and the laptop power supply.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
emii28