How to export text threads from an iPhone7

TGB77

Dec 6, 2018
Visit site
Hello, I am looking for a way to export my text threads from my iPhone7. Does anyone know of a convenient way to do this? And an added bonus would be if I could later reimport them to another phone. Thanks!

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Can’t be more convenient than that

Under iCloud Make sure messages are toggled to green and under messages if there important like they are for me make sure message history is set to Forever

TGB77

Dec 6, 2018
Visit site
Backup your iPhone and then restore that backup to a different iPhone.
Although I will want to do that as well, I would like to export them

I can't even back them up to iCloud, as I get this message when I try to toggle Messages to on:
-----------------
Messages in iCloud not available
Messages in iCloud is not available because iCloud and iMessage accounts are different.
-----------------
Yet there is only one Apple account associated with this phone.

TGB77

Dec 6, 2018
Visit site
Can’t be more convenient than that

Under iCloud Make sure messages are toggled to green and under messages if there important like they are for me make sure message history is set to Forever

Although I have it set to forever and I would like to upload them to iCloud, I would like to export them so they are in an easier to read & search format.

I can't even back them up to iCloud, as I get this message when I try to toggle Messages to on:
-----------------
Messages in iCloud is not available because iCloud and iMessage accounts are different.
-----------------

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Although I will want to do that as well, I would like to export them

-----------------
-----------------

You can try to corrective measures found via the following https://allthings.how/icloud-and-imessage-accounts-are-different-on-your-iphone-heres-a-fix/

TGB77

Dec 6, 2018
Visit site

Thanks! I was able to find that and cleared out a bunch of space on my iPhone by having the bulk of text messages uploaded to iCloud. But I still don't have a convenient way of exporting the messages. Apple has suggested either screenshots of the messages (which won't work too great because the content of the messages won't be searchable) or copying the entire text exchange and pasting it into another document. For the latter, that would work, but how does one do the equivalent of a ctrl+a to select all of a text message exchange so they can copy it into another document?