How often do you backup your iPhone?

How often do you backup your iPhone?

• Total voters

MrP

Aug 3, 2008
Visit site
I usually do it once or twice a week. IMO it still takes too long. I often cancel the backing up portion of my syncs to finish them faster.

longshadows

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
I use Google for calendar and contacts. So, I'm fine. I probably back up with iTunes at least once a week. What I don't know how to do is correctly back up my Cydia apps and settings, and wouldn't have a clue how to restore them, if it ever came to that.

Can anyone suggest a Cydia backup and restore procedure "for dummies" I can consult?

agtiphone

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Never Have, because you can easily just sync your apps, music and videos back using iTunes anyway and I cant spare the disk space. (Actually, I dont have an iPhone) so, yeah.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm surprised and glad to see I'm not in the minority. I use my personal laptop at work and work at my desk 50-60% of my day. I sync atleast 2 times a day and it backs up everytime I sync atleast it says it does. I only keep two most recent backups in iTunes so I'll check the list of backups periodically and get rid of some of my old backups.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I sync my contacts/calendar to Google, so there's no need to backup anything - it all happens seamlessly and behind the scenes. No need to backup apps, cause iTunes knows what you've purchased.

+1. I use MobileMe to sync/backup contacts/calendar... but no need to manually backup - occasionally I do to update podcasts, but usually only before a flight...

jonmark

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
No need to backup apps, cause iTunes knows what you've purchased.

When I upgraded from my 3GS to my iPhone 4, and sync'd the i4 to iTunes, I lost some of the apps I paid for because I didn't sync them from my 3GS before restoring it. So you do need to sync your apps if you plan on changing devices - or just to be on the safe side, in case something (God forbid) happens to your current device unexpectantly and you had paid apps on there.

Entertainment72

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
I sync my contacts/calendar to Google, so there's no need to backup anything - it all happens seamlessly and behind the scenes. No need to backup apps, cause iTunes knows what you've purchased.

How about MMS, SMS text messages? Springboard or App locations, App data, WiFi settings..etc. there is sooo much to backup that I'd rather not have to do all over again should something happen.

In general I sync everyday because the more you sync the faster the backup. I sync three other iPhones and one touch (massive song and app library) and they hardly sync....maybe once a month and it takes forever to backup. There are a lot of benefits with more frequent backups as my extended family has learned. One lost a month worth of text messages.. it goes on and on.. It takes my phone 2 minutes at most to backup, theirs 20...yikes :eek:

Last edited:

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
When I upgraded from my 3GS to my iPhone 4, and sync'd the i4 to iTunes, I lost some of the apps I paid for because I didn't sync them from my 3GS before restoring it. So you do need to sync your apps if you plan on changing devices - or just to be on the safe side, in case something (God forbid) happens to your current device unexpectantly and you had paid apps on there.
Perhaps. However, after Christmas I connected to the app store from a variety of iDevices in order to satisfy urgent requests for games. In th rare cases where kids happened to want a game that I had already paid for, the app store reminded me that I had already paid for it and asked if I wanted to download it again.

Synching is easy and prudent; one may not remember what one had. However, the app store knows what you own. It will not restore an iDevice but it will refresh iTunes.

pogeypre

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Since I bought the 16gb iPhone 4 (short sighted), I have to remove and replace things all the time. Consequently, I get the opportunity to back up almost daily. :)

I always make it a point to back up the more expensive apps/music/movies ASAP though.

CalifJewls

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
2-3 times a week for me unless I buy a few apps, if they crossover to my iPad than maybe once or twice more, I also like to backup photos and organize them into folders..

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dennis Anderson Julien