Designed4Him

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
Yesterday I was closing out apps and closed out like 50 or so and was wondering what's the most amount of apps you have closed out?

Sent from HIS WORLD on my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

sherlock

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
I actually counted once for a TII podcast census. Mine was 38 after one 7 day period. More than I would have guessed but then I feel a impulsive need to clear my apps out periodically.

Sent from my iPad2 using Tapatalk

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Not many because I'm a stickler for removing apps from the recently used list.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

Designed4Him

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
I never really thought of closing them out because you don't really have to; when my phone gets sluggish is when I start closing them out.

BParker4381

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
I think the most for me was like 25. I usually try to go in and close out apps every few days that I know I will not use for a while.

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
This topic just inspired me to close all of my open apps... I counted them and was shocked by the number that were open - 98!!

I know it doesn't really influence your phone's performance but that seems like a lot to be running in the background at once!!

sherlock

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
This topic just inspired me to close all of my open apps... I counted them and was shocked by the number that were open - 98!!

I know it doesn't really influence your phone's performance but that seems like a lot to be running in the background at once!!

Wow, I think that must be a record? I have heard there's a limit.

Designed4Him

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site

Wow that is a lot I wonder what the max is!

Tanbam

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
It's not really true that they don't affect performance. I think the common belief is that they aren't really doing anything in the background because some articles have been written "explaining" how multitasking in ios works. However, that's not always the case.

There are a huge number of people that complain about poor battery life; some have seen drops of 10% an hour while in standby overnight. From what I've observed, that drain is caused by apps that are misbehaving in the background.

I keep a pretty tight leash in what my 4S does, and I spot all kinds of things that cause improper battery drain.

I use BatteryDetective on my jailbroken phone and can see the actual battery current being consumed. When everything is running correctly, the phone draws an average of 4mA while in standby. With a 1400 mA/hr battery, it should be able to run a LONG time in standby.

Every once in a while, I'll notice that the battery seems to be draining faster than it should, and I'll open BatteryDetective and notice that it's burning 200mA or more during standby. That will drain it pretty quickly. In EVERY case, I can pull it back down to normal by closing apps in the multitask bar. Believe it or not, one of the biggest offenders is the stock Music app. Leaving that one sitting there is - in my opinion - probably the biggest culprit for most battery issues.

Another one that causes problems, oddly enough, is NewsRack. I use it daily, but every once in a while, it will get stuck on something and burn 30mA in the background. Not much, but enough over normal to notice decreased life over time.

A couple of months ago, I had a problem with iTunes Match when something in my Cloud data became corrupted. It would crash iTunes on any computer that I logged in with, and the Music app would burn >400mA if I opened it. My phone would start getting hot and the battery would drain almost fast enough to watch. Apple had to delete my Cloud data to restore operation, but it was a great example of how background apps can severely impact the device.

Bottom line, closing apps in the multitask bar is a good idea, no matter what anybody else claims.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
12-15 isn't too bad at all...how often do you close out.

I don't run many apps. Safari, mail, twitter, Facebook, messages, phone, speedtest, and settings are the ones I run the most and tend to leave them in the fast app switcher. I don't play many games unless I can manually back up saved games and settings (and nearly most don't allow this easily), so I only have 4 installed and they're all angry birds. Any other apps I run (camera, photos, maps, strava, etc) I close them out soon after running them.

Last edited:

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I never have more than 4-8 apps open in my tray. In fact the ONLY ones I do leave open there now all the time are my settings, phone and messages apps. At night when I turn in I close out any other ones, but the ones I always close out upon immediately use when I'm finished is TuneIn radio or iHeartRadio. I def don't like to leave those 2 open in the tray till I'm ready to turn in at night.

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I think I've successfully confirmed that I have a SERIOUS problem with apps... I'll take my title of "Too many open apps at once" proudly haha!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerrytg4