How do I airdrop mp4 video from mac to iPhone into an app (AVPlayer) instead of Photos.app?

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I would like to transfer mp4 videos I have on my laptop to my iPhone or iPad. At the moment when I do so, the video is automatically opened in the Photos.app instead of prompting me with a list of compatible apps I have that I wish to open it in (eg. VLC, AVPlayerHD, Readdle's Documents even!). This is frustrating since the video playback controls in the Photos.app is less than ideal. I would prefer to use airdrop since its face and doesn't require HTTP transfers though a browser interface.

Any advice would help! Thanks!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
This is the second thread you created asking the exact same thing. I've since deleted the other thread so please be patient while awaiting a response. We are all volunteers here and we are not always logged on.

Brian Sia

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
I was searching for the same issue and saw your post, I am not sure if you are still looking for a way to airdrop your MP4 file to IPhone/iPad into anything other then the Photos app.

I did it by rename the .mp4 file to .pdf file prior Airdrop it to your other device, by tricking the system thinking the file is a pdf file you then have an option to open in the 'Documents 5' app. An error message will prompt to tell you the file is corrupted since it is not a pdf file, just go back to the Documents inbox, select your file and rename it back to .mp4. You then can 'open in' any other apps you wish!

Is not ideal method but at least it get the work done.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ludogg23