How can I organize my music?

Oct 25, 2008
Visit site
I think the first time I synced the iphone my music was disorganized. On the iphone i have artists with misspelled names and artists not linked to some of their music.

I tried moving songs, creating new folders and renaming songs and folders on the desktop then re syncing but it created a bigger mes on the iphone. I was afraid to clear the desktop and iphone and then starting over for fear of loosing copyrights to songs. The desktop folders itunes created is confusing.

I think a major problem is that I have many odd songs I downloaded from LimeWire.

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
Sounds like its the metadata that's screwed up. Choose a song in iTunes and then use CMD-I on Mac or CTRL-I on Windows. Go through the various tabs and clean up the metadata as best you can. You can cross-check with Amazon to get the spelling, etc.

There are some tools that can help automate this to some extent, but they're usually hit-and-miss.

Also, beware of LimeWire and the like: there are typically heaps of viruses flooding those networks -- its one of the most common ways to get your computer hacked, turned into a bot, or otherwise compromised.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Oh man, avoid Limewire at all costs. Look into Newsgroups. Must better quality and a lot less headaches for you.

Oct 25, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for your help. I gave the control+I a shot but it hasnt worked. I have duplicates now of albums and I have 1 lousy song that refuses to go away. I have deleted it from itunes about 5 times. Should I copy my music to a different folder, organize and rename things and then clear itunes and resync? How do I clear the songs from itunes? And will I lose my copywrite syuff?

Oct 25, 2008
Visit site
I took a closer look at the meta data and you were right. It was simple things such as changing Artist/Artist to Artist & Artist or Mcdermit to McDermit. And the song that wouldn't go away was done away with by clicking the other option in the pop up that is shown after synchronization.

Thanks again.

BrianTuneUp

Nov 12, 2008
Visit site
It really sucks to have to keep doing this James. Have you tried any of the programs that are out there to help keep your library organized? We created a program called TuneUp (tuneupmedia.com) that cleans up your music meta-data(which is what you were trying to fix in the first place) and it gets you missing cover art as well as concert updates. We currently have the PC version up and running which you can download a demo of at tuneupmedia.com/download.

If you do try it out let me know what you think. We could always use the feedback.

jamesus

TiPb Forum Staff
Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
Looks like cool software. I am actually very detailed when it comes to my meta data and started my organization process when I first began using MP3s years ago. I still might try this app out as I have a friend who is looking for this type of software.

Oct 25, 2008
Visit site
It really sucks to have to keep doing this James. Have you tried any of the programs that are out there to help keep your library organized? We created a program called TuneUp (tuneupmedia.com) that cleans up your music meta-data(which is what you were trying to fix in the first place) and it gets you missing cover art as well as concert updates. We currently have the PC version up and running which you can download a demo of at tuneupmedia.com/download.

If you do try it out let me know what you think. We could always use the feedback.

Thanks for the heads up. I sent the iphone back to att so no need. Thanks though.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prairiekid0