Hotspot question

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I’m probably misunderstanding your question, however, I have VZW and I am indeed able to use my iPhone X as a mobile hotspot. With that being said, have unlimited data so consuming my data isn’t an issue.

Chris Cook5

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Example. My church has poor Wi-Fi especially when everybody is on it at the same time. When I use an app that requires Wi-Fi, are you able to use a USB that goes from your computer to your phone that doesn’t us your data

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Example. My church has poor Wi-Fi especially when everybody is on it at the same time. When I use an app that requires Wi-Fi, are you able to use a USB that goes from your computer to your phone that doesn’t us your data

You can share your cellular data via hotspot with a laptop but the other way round is not possible. Your iPhone needs it’s own cellular or WiFi connection.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

That will not work because when hotspot is enabled on the iPhone, other devices will be able to connect to it either wirelessly or via USB so that those devices can have internet access. The iPhone will still be using your cellular data because it has become the gateway to the internet for connected devices.

To do what you’re seeking, your iPhone will have to connect to another device that is configured as a hotspot.

Last edited:

Chris Cook5

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
You can share your cellular data via hotspot with a laptop but the other way round is not possible. Your iPhone needs it’s own cellular or WiFi connection.

So are you saying I can plug in my charger USB cable to the laptop and the other end to my computer & turn on Wi-Fi hotspot. Otherwise I don’t use that much data so I should be fine.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
So are you saying I can plug in my charger USB cable to the laptop and the other end to my computer & turn on Wi-Fi hotspot. Otherwise I don’t use that much data so I should be fine.

I was referring to the iPhone on one end and a laptop or computer on the other end. That way you laptop or computer uses the cellular data of the iPhone, like @Just_Me_D also reiterated.

I am not sure how it works from computer to laptop or vice versa.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

You said your Church has weak Wi-Fi, especially when everyone is trying to use it. Right? If your iPhone has a good cellular signal then you can configure it to be a Wi-Fi hotspot so that your iMac, laptop, iPad, etcetera can have internet access. Still, that setup would indeed use cellular data.

With that being said, if the computer can be connected to the internet via cat5 cable then that solves your dilemma because it would not use your cellular data and your iPhone would not need to be configured as a hotspot. If you cannot connect your computer to the internet via a cable then you’re stuck using the Church’s spotty Wi-Fi network or you can configure your iPhone as the Wi-Fi hotspot.

Finally, if your laptop has cellular capabilities and you have cellular service for it then enable the cellular option therein and use it, but again, you will be using cellular data.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
On the Sprint network they give you a set amount of Hotspot in my case 50GBs a month and then I have to wait till the next month for a reset regardless that I have unlimited data.

Another good use of hotspot used for WiFi is updates that require a WiFi connection can be fooled by using some else’s hotspot to initiate update

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deepghosh2564