has anyone else experienced issues with Wifi Calling since 11.3/11.3.1 update

samduffy

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
For some weird reason recently my Wifi Calling is intermittently connecting and disconnecting e.g. the signal bar has the carrier name and WIFI CALL beside it but then sometimes just goes back to the carrier name without the WIFI CALL status beside it. This issue only seems to have happened recently before 11.3.1 etc this issue never happened. I got onto my carrier who told me to try the sim in another phone and see if the same issue still occurs so i did i put it into my iPhone 6 and Wifi Calling signal status stays on permanently. However in saying this my iPhone 6 is not on 11.3.1 its on 11.2.5 or an older update purely as i dont use the phone anymore and since getting my iPhone 10 didn't bother updating it.

Can anyone else please let me know if theyre seeing this too

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
That's normal. It's not supposed to show wifi calling all the time. It's only supposed to use wifi calling if your cellular signal is weak or off. If your cellular signal is borderline, that would explain why it behaves as you say.

samduffy

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
Ah right that’s interesting. As before the update it would always stay saying WiFi calling regardless of the signal strength and when I turn the phone off and on it comes back saying WiFi calling in the signal bar

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Ah right that’s interesting. As before the update it would always stay saying WiFi calling regardless of the signal strength and when I turn the phone off and on it comes back saying WiFi calling in the signal bar

Mine shows wifi calling only when it gets below about -108 signal strength. Above that it's LTE. -108 would be 1 bar or dot. When I'm in town, I rarely see wifi calling in my status bar, because the cellular signal there is good.

samduffy

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
Yeah that’s weird as mine shows all the time and it is now. As I said once in my house it comes on always but after 11.3.1 it intermits perhaps the carrier has changed this but doubt it as I put it into my iPhone 6 it stayed on permantetly

Maybe WiFi calling works differently in Ireland /Europe than the us

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Yeah that’s weird as mine shows all the time and it is now. As I said once in my house it comes on always but after 11.3.1 it intermits perhaps the carrier has changed this but doubt it as I put it into my iPhone 6 it stayed on permantetly

I don't know, but Verizon explains it on their site. If your cellular signal is good, why would you need wifi calling?

samduffy

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
True and fair point. But it’s weird. My carrier is targeting it as yes you may have excellent cell coverage but you can even better with WiFi calling so it keeps it’s on while under WiFi zone for the best experience you can get. If you understand what I mean

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site

Mine is also on all the time, as it’s configured by my carrier to prioritize over cellular calls.
I’ve seen Wi-Fi Calling from other carriers kick in only when network signal was low.

samduffy

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
ok cool. perhaps its a carrier thing then. did you notice the sudden intermittent behaviour of it dropping on and off since 11.3.1

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Mine is also on all the time, as it’s configured by my carrier to prioritize over cellular calls.
I’ve seen Wi-Fi Calling from other carriers kick in only when network signal was low.

So you're never on cellular when there's wifi? It's intended to prioritize when cellular is weak or off. That's how it works with Verizon anyway. And AT&T.

samduffy

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
Turns out it was changed in 11.3 to enable itself when the signal bar is less than 2 bars which is a pity as I love being able to use it regardless of signal strength. 32931A68-9E5A-443A-94F1-B435B32FFF81.png

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Turns out it was changed in 11.3 to enable itself when the signal bar is less than 2 bars which is a pity as I love being able to use it regardless of signal strength. View attachment 123013

Why would you want or need to use it if your cellular signal is good? What would be your benefit? I think the fact it worked all the time was the bug. They fixed it so it works now as it should.