Finally Cut the Cable Cord

cat3trd

Aug 8, 2017
Visit site
I cut the cord about within the last year. I cancelled DirecTV satellite service. I have two AppleTVs. I use an antenna and an HDHomeRun to receive local channels. I use the Channels app with DVR storage on my NAS (which also houses Plex) for locals. I have Netflix, Hulu and by default of being a prime member for free shipping, Amazon. Because I have AT&Ts top tier unlimited plan with tethering, I get free HBO and DirecTVNow for $10/mo. Tons of TV, for over a $100 less than I was paying for satellite service. My internet service is only 10mbps, but I don’t have many issues with buffering. So far, really glad I cut the cord.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I cut the cord about within the last year. I cancelled DirecTV satellite service. I have two AppleTVs. I use an antenna and an HDHomeRun to receive local channels. I use the Channels app with DVR storage on my NAS (which also houses Plex) for locals. I have Netflix, Hulu and by default of being a prime member for free shipping, Amazon. Because I have AT&Ts top tier unlimited plan with tethering, I get free HBO and DirecTVNow for $10/mo. Tons of TV, for over a $100 less than I was paying for satellite service. My internet service is only 10mbps, but I don’t have many issues with buffering. So far, really glad I cut the cord.

I also use the HDHomeRun box and the channels app and it's great for the local channels. Also have Direct Now for 60.00 a month. So far I am saving 70.00 a month versus cable.

I have had some issues with the Direct TV app, such as 1502 errors and twice I have had to delete and reload the Direct TV because I lost the picture and just had sound.

Hoping they correct some of these issues ASAP. Other then those technical glitches, I have been more the please. The Direct TV help has a lot to be desired.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I cut the cord a few months ago & I use PlayStation Vue for streaming. It allows you to record unlimited shows & will keep them for 28 days plus you can use it on up to 5 devices at the same time. I also have Netflix, Prime, & use my mom's DirecTv Now for the History channel. I had FiOS until I realized I could use my unlimited data with no buffering, so I cut that too & avoided the disconnection fee by giving them my other address where Verizon doesn't service I'm enjoying every minute because I'm saving close to $300/month

bgl321

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
I've tried cutting the cord a couple times but just can't do it. When I compare the pricing of both options I just don think it's worth it. Something about always being connected gives me piece of mind. I pay $70 for DIRECTV with 3 DVRs and $12 for AT&T Internet. I'm out of contract on both. That's $82. If I pay for faster internet through Spectrum it will be $45 for the first year plus buying a router. Add the price of Hulu Plus or YouTube TV and I'm around $80-$85. For all the sports I watch it's a no-brainer to keep DIRECTV. I know a lot of people are cutting the cord these days but for me it doesn't make sense to switch.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
We currently have the Charter Spectrum bundle deal (tv, phone and internet) but are in talks now to cut tv and phone. We already have smart tv's in the house, as well as two Apply TV's and an Amazon Stick. Sling TV will probably be an option for sports.

Eclipse2K

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site
Doesn’t matter if they use the login. Cable logins can be used multiple times. I have 3 Apple TV’s in my house. All using their login. And our 3 iPads all use the login as well. We have 150 mbps speeds so all the streaming we do does just fine. I could get speeds up to 1 GB but no reason to pay for that. We saved $120 a month once we cut the cord. Ill be honest, if I didn’t have my parents login I could never make it work. If have to pay for cable.

I’d be able to live without cable if I could purchase sports passes for the Cubs, Blackhawks and Bears. But seeing as there’s blackout restrictions I’m forced into cable. I wish I could just pay $25 per month for the 7-10 channels I need for sports and be on my way but it’s not possible and the internet services miss critical channels and also black out some sports too.

Dark_Huntress

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Bought a used, but like new Apple TV 4th generation 64 gig box off Craigslist for 80.00 and have the Direct TV streaming package and going to save 65.00 a month compared to cable.

I have a 35 MPS connection speed and haven't noticed any lag at all. Also bought my own cable modem which will save me another 8.00 a month.

Next step is a HDHomeRun box, digital antenna and the channels app and I will have all my local channels in HD.

So far I am not regretting cutting the cable cord and just got tired of rising cable bills and getting less content. So far I liking the move and not going back any time soon.

Just thought I would share my Apple TV experience with the great folks on this forums who might be thinking of cutting the cable cord like I did.

Dark_Huntress

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
We cut the cord five years ago. We watched Netflix and Hulu at first, which worked for us. Later we got the Amazon fire and Apple TV and put them on all our televisions. Never missed cable and really enjoy watching what we want when we want to watch it. One of the best decisions we made.