Encrypted itunes backup pros cons

tikchowdhurry

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
Is there any disadvantage to encrypting my 5s and itunes backup? I never did before and was going to now, but wanted to know if there was any negatives at all. Cause if not, why isn't it the default option? Aside from requiring a password to restore, what's the difference? Time? Disk space? Anything?

kazza295

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Well for instance when I was updating my friends iphone it had to restore from a backup and he couldn't remember the password. Obviously I got the blame ...luckily he used such a bad password that a password cracker found it and we saved his stuff

DroidArmy

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
Is there any disadvantage to encrypting my 5s and itunes backup? I never did before and was going to now, but wanted to know if there was any negatives at all. Cause if not, why isn't it the default option? Aside from requiring a password to restore, what's the difference? Time? Disk space? Anything?

Well it would require some time to encrypt I would think. What if you forget your password? Then you're going to run into trouble. This is a feature for people with valuable work data or they're just worried somebody will steal their personal information. As a regular user, I don't recommend using it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Encrypting a backup is really just an additional layer of security for you, all things considered. I do know that if you encrypt your backup, I believe most of your passwords to various accounts across the device are also stored in there as well (this is not true with unencrypted backups, FYI)...that function might be inviting to some as it would make the transition to a new/replacement device a little easier and less time consuming (since your accounts will still be signed in on many of the apps on the phone).

I don't ever encrypt my backups really, but I don't really have any good or legitimate reason why, I just haven't ever done it. Given how easy and effortless it is to do so though, I might start doing it from now on.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
My iTunes backups are all encrypted. I just do it because the option is there and it is easily done. I did forget my passcode once, but because I always do both an iCloud & iTunes backup, no harm was done. I'm also the type that only backs up for unforeseen emergency purposes. I'm quick to restore my devices as new and start from scratch....:)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy