Does anyone else miss the fingerprint scanner?

Thud Hardsmack

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2016
Visit site
Also a FaceID fan, although I had my misgivings when it debuted. At the time though, I was not an iPhone owner and didn’t think anything would be more superior than a fingerprint sensor. Years on and having used the fingerprint sensor on the front and the back, as well as one foray with an in-screen sensor, I can definitively opine that the only thing better than FaceID might be one on the side in the power button. But I’m a huge fan of FaceID being so fluid that it seems like my phone is unlocked as soon as I pick it up without having to fumble for an exact location to find a button.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I have actually went in reverse and currently using an SE20 when my previous devices where the X, 11 Pro and 12 Pro and I do like the Face ID, I also find the finger print scanner useful.

I seriously miss using the gesture concept, but the forum factor of the SE20 is so nice because it fits in my pocket and works quite well for my daily driver.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I sometimes do miss the fingerprint scanner just because I felt it was more accurate then the Face ID when it comes to detecting.

My take is they can cut off your thumb after you die but if you have Face ID set to attention it might still be possible but highly unlikely when you kick the bucket

Maybe under screen Touch ID along with Face ID would give more security but the home Button Touch ID is something I don’t miss at all

sleepngbear

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
I do not miss the fingerprint scanner. I was concerned that I might, but facial recognition so far has worked flawlessly, whether I’m wearing my glasses or not.

My wife, on the other hand, most recently preferred the newer SE, because being in the medical field she’s frequently wearing a face mask of some sort, which pretty much renders facial recognition useless. She had a 7S+, but got tired of the size, so opted for the SE as its replacement. Funny thing is, she keeps hers in an Otter Defender case, where she can’t use the fingerprint scanner anyway, so she’d probably have done just as well with the 12 mini.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Yes I still miss Touch ID, however I do like Face ID better. Sometimes I just want to unlock the phone without looking at it or putting my password in. Hopefully the next generation iPhone will have both. Fingers crossed

Jun 27, 2022
Visit site
I don't have experience with the fingerprint sensor, I'm relatively new to iPhone (been using it for the past year), but the Face ID is one of the best features that I like about it, it works perfectly on 12 mini. Though I share the frustration when wearing a mask, especially when going in the market and I have to regularly check the groceries list.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I don’t miss it, I still have it on my IPad. I prefer it to face id, which in it’s only usable format (tap to start) is not all that quick !

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I'm surprised to say that I don't really miss it at all. I still have it on my iPad Air 4, but my "muscle memory" is already used to face id, so I look at my iPad, and wonder why it doesn't hope, and then I remember... oh yeah, I have to scan my finger!

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
I have TouchID on my MacBook Pro and sometimes forget that I don’t have FaceID and need to use TouchID to log in. Then again, I find myself touch my MacBook screen all day long, since I am used to using my iPad or iPhone.