Disappointed with iPhone 3Gs???

infenit101

Sep 30, 2008
Visit site
@infenit101 - Of course one can make a long list when there are hundreds of phones to compare. Which phone do you want to compare? Or are you here just to Troll? Hey, I said that I didn't own an iPhone, yet. Why? Because there were basic features that I was unwilling to do without. That said, I've envied the iPhone user experience (intuitive control, thousands of available apps - hundreds sans farts - HaHa, a beautiful large touch screen, a really good media player, and hundreds of available accessories). The features I needed are finally here and I think this is an outstanding upgrade. You don't - we get it - move on.

I'm here as a dissapointed Iphone 3g user who enjoys the phone but is upset over the lack of features that should already be there. You shouldnt envy the iphone user...you are not missing too much other than the endless fart, picture, and beer apps.

infenit101

Sep 30, 2008
Visit site
Sure its faster.
And Safari is supposedly faster too. All will benefit from that.

Add the two together and web browsing should scream.

We expected more. We got a camera upgrade, a largely useless compass, and a speed boost.

Hardware wise, this is a disappointment.
Software wise this is a nice Point release

Perhaps it should be called 2.3. All it offered was 4 long over due features (copy/paste, notifications, MMS and landscape mail). Much of the rest is largely Apple's usual dosage of over hyped features, many of which have been available in the App store for a long time.

Apple had to make it appear new thus the use of 3.0.
It's no different than Snow Leopard. (Not sure why they bashed Win7 for being the refined version of vista when snow leopard is a refined version of leopard...anyway.)
The OS is really 2.3 and still in desperate need of an overhauled UI.

Rayman2170

Jan 30, 2009
Visit site
The Only way I am upgrading is if the 3GS Actually has more RAM.

They could just be using the OpenCL technology to use the graphics processor to speed things up, could easily get 2x faster than 3G that way. But this will do nothing to lessen the low memory crashes. If this is the case then sure the 3GS will go lightning fast....straight into a brick wall of FAIL.

And I do believe this to be the case; when reading a pre-review when the author asked the apple personnel what the CPU and RAM specs were, all he got was "we dont like to go that in depth" or something to that effect. If it had more RAM they would definitely say so.

I will wait till someone's brave enough to open it up and tell us once and for all whats inside.

And "it's magic" is not going to cut it.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
I think my son used the last of the bibs, don't have enough for all the babies in here... j/k.

For real though, I am happy with WWDC. Did I want more? Of course. Unlike everyone else, I rather not jailbreak. So the fact that a lot of these features were available then for jailbroken iPhones makes no difference to me and as everyone can tell (and I'm sure someone is going to fib and say otherwise), jailbreaking slows the phone down. No matter how you put it, it's doing something it wasn't intended to do and hence does not react in the best possible way.

Bottom line: Tomorrow morning, I will be reserving my new 3G(S). The improved camera + autofocus is a plus for me.

Last edited:

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
Well I've not seen it specifically stated its hardware, but that would be the only justification for leaving it off of the 3G.

Most of Voice reco technology is done with Software. I guess the Jailbreak community will let us know for sure.

Does anyone predict a dictation app based on the Voice Reco capabilities of this phone?

Vlingo, Google, and the say where app all use voice recognition successfully on current non-jailbroken phones, so it's purely a software thing, guess Apple didn't want to give us too much..

thinkTwice

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Well it is a bit of a disappointment to me, but I'll get over it. I would have really liked to see an OLED screen and a design change. That's it. With the AT&T network the way it is now, it would be unreasonable to expect the network to handle video chat.

The biggest disappointment was no change in the price of the data/voice/text plans. $70/month for the voice/data is reasonable, even though you don't get unlimited nights/weekends (can't AT&T make that unlimited too?). But the text plans are highway robbery. For $5, why not bump it up to 400txts? Or throw in a free 200txts with each iPhone plan?

Basically this is to lure in new users, not to lure in existing iPhone users to upgrade. If I had a 3G, no 3GS for me. But since I'm new to the iPhone, I think it's great.

I got more excited about iPhone 3.0 than 3GS and I think that's what Apple wanted. Any phone company can release a higher spec phone. But what about the apps? You can't beat the iPhone on that. Maybe in two years Palm, Android, BB might be a serious competitor to the App Store, but for now, Apple is king.

Dyvim

Mar 10, 2008
Visit site
A little disappointed yes, but I was just reading too many rumor blogs and getting my expectations set unrealistically high. Actually I'm more excited about this upgrade than the 2G -> 3G upgrade last year since this year I will get a faster processor, more RAM (I hope), 2x storage (32GB!), a better camera with video, and a better battery (compass and voice control might be cool too, but will reserve judgment on those). (Of course paired with that, this year I am less excited about the OS 2.0 -> 3.0 software upgrade than I was about the OS 1.0 -> 2.0 software upgrade since that was a much bigger deal since it started the whole App Store thing. That's not to say that I'm not excited about 3.0, just less so than with 2.0)

But yeah, I'll be doing an early upgrade to the 32 GB soon...

MoneyMFAC

Jun 8, 2009
Visit site
Thank you everyone for the replies. I enjoyed reading them all.

From all the replies in this thread, I have come to a conclusion. We, as Apple and iPhone lovers, are more inclined to be head over heels for huge features in small quantity compared to minor features in a large quantity. If we break down the difference from 2G --> 3G we have a huge upgrade in browsing speed and a new casing, both huge. 3G --> 3GS we have several minor features and a lacking huge new marketable feature. It is hard to quantify the both upgrades until we get our hands on the 3GS, but still very interesting none the less

edoughig

May 12, 2009
Visit site
With $99 iPhone 3G's it does not look good for the Pre. That is a low price that is very appealing to many people. And once you pick up the Pre you will more than likely be let down. I know I was.

I completely agree with this. I stopped by a Radio Shack on Sunday just for kicks and was not impressed at all. The Pre felt cheap to me and with only 5 cards open, swiping up to close one froze up the Pre and took well more than 10 seconds for the card to slide up and close.

I am not a current iPhone owner, but am definitely getting a 3GS. Sure, I would have liked to see a bit more and a slight redesign, but it is still an excellent phone made better.

It's funny to me how before Monday, the Pre didn't stand a chance against the 3G, but with the release of the 3GS (which is better, if not all that was expected) the tone has changed significantly among posters on multiple forums...

diecast

Feb 25, 2009
Visit site
I dont thank this is the new iphone. I think this phone release was just put out there b/c of the plam pre release and to stop some of the leaked ideas of the new iphone

infenit101

Sep 30, 2008
Visit site
I completely agree with this. I stopped by a Radio Shack on Sunday just for kicks and was not impressed at all. The Pre felt cheap to me and with only 5 cards open, swiping up to close one froze up the Pre and took well more than 10 seconds for the card to slide up and close.

I am not a current iPhone owner, but am definitely getting a 3GS. Sure, I would have liked to see a bit more and a slight redesign, but it is still an excellent phone made better.

It's funny to me how before Monday, the Pre didn't stand a chance against the 3G, but with the release of the 3GS (which is better, if not all that was expected) the tone has changed significantly among posters on multiple forums...

5 cards open beats 1 app open at a time anyday of the week 24/7

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Ash, the processor will be faster and so will the phone...but ATT's network is not ready for the wireless speed and won't be able to fully utilize this device's ability until...the next gen iPhone rolls out.

It's a failure. Even if you're a tech geek, it's a failure. In my opinion of course :)

Where you say the network can't handle it, I disagree. At least in my area it is great. HSDPA works wonderfully as I've used other unlocked phones here that support HSDPA. No complaints. Trust me if I had a reason to complain, I'd join you.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
im buying it no matter what the price.

This is a step forward in technology not backward.

Stop trolling

Stop crying

Stop being idiots.

The comments i laugh at the most are the camera comments.

First off this is a better picture then the 3G, even vs jailbroken video.

For those of you saying "ill carry a camera around" Go ahead, step back in time in technology. If you love carrying around more then one thing... lol

Better Battery
Better Camera
Better CPU/Speed
Video + Video editing /Upload youtube
Nike +
More Ram

Im sold. Its an upgrade. and a nice one at that.

You know what the most hilarious thing here is with all you idiots crying? You FORGET things very quickly.

going from 2G Phone to 3G was Simply just THAT, 2g to 3g, + GPS. THATS IT

the list for this upgrade is WAAAAY More then the last. That makes this on paper an improvement. and a step forward. open up your eyes, or can't you? to many tears running down that face?

Also i think you're forgetting how much the day 1 iPhone costed us as well...

I like this post. (minus the name calling)

Last edited:

lordzod01

Oct 11, 2008
Visit site
I'll Stay for now

I'ts not that i'm dissapointed, but my contracts not quite up yet. When it is ready for an upgrade i think i'll wait for next years release, rather than being stuck with only a slightly better one for another 18 months. I think next years release will yeald a better model with the likes of oled screens and even more memory.

I do like the new features, but for the ones temporeoly stuck in contracts we're not missing much. This is were Iphone 2g owners upgrade and Iphone 3g owners stick it out for 3-6 months at the end of there contracts next year to get the 4th gen iphone. I've had mine about twelve months, i use a juice pack air to cover battery life, so that to me leaves little else. A faster iphone at the moment just doesn't scream upgrade.

Although the compass might come in handy when i'm drunk and lost...LOL

jellmoo

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
I can't say that I'm disappointed, but I'm not excited either. Considering that I just got my iPhone in February, there wasn't any real chance of me grabbing this anyway, unless it was super amazing awesome uber.

That being said...

Better camera - I personally don't care, as I hardly ever use it anyway.
Video Recording - Same as above, plus I have Cycorder.
Nike + - Don't care.
Compass - Why on earth do I want a compass in my phone?
Voice Commands - Had it on previous phones, never used it.
Battery - Would be more excited if it weren't still crap. It's barely better.
Unspecified processor boost - This is cool, but the fact that they haven't given exact specs irks me.
Double the Ram - Now we're talking!

Do these things matter to some people? I'm sure they do. But to to me they are minuscule increases that didn't do much to tackle the features I personally care about.

cr105

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I would say what is disappointing for me, is that there has been no mention of improved call quality. Yes it would be a nice upgrade, but if it has the same iffy reception/call quality then it is not worth it to me.

My daughter just got a samsung impression, and the calls are crystal clear everywhere. My "dream" phone would be that phones size, keyboard and call quality with the iphone software/screen=perfect phone.

I wish Apple would at least make a comment about that, although it seems to be a non-issue to them.

scaliasphone

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Where you say the network can't handle it, I disagree. At least in my area it is great. HSDPA works wonderfully as I've used other unlocked phones here that support HSDPA. No complaints. Trust me if I had a reason to complain, I'd join you.

From yesterday's LA Times:

The 7.2 standard allows a theoretical download speed of up to 7.2 megabits per second. It doesn't always perform at that speed, but wow! That's like a song download every six seconds or so. Surely, that should at least be close to done? Not so fast.

"AT&T plans to begin deploying ... 7.2 later this year," Smith said. "We anticipate completing that upgraded 3G network by 2011."

Even according to AT&T it's not ready for primetime. Then again, if you're getting HSPDA in Lemont or Joliet, more power to you.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dirtyvu