Cellular/Non-Cellular Question

JessiLulu

Oct 28, 2016
Visit site
My iPhone is with AT&T. I’m out of phone lines. Is it possible to purchase a watch through another carrier, but only utilize the bluetooth connectivity to my AT&T phone?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Forgive me if I’m misunderstanding your question, but I don’t think you can purchase a cellular model Watch from T-mobile as a T-Mobile add-on item and then use it on an AT&T account.

Still, I don’t work for a mobile carrier so I can’t say for certain. Hopefully, others will comment soon.

Reactions: Annie_M

JessiLulu

Oct 28, 2016
Visit site
Forgive me if I’m misunderstanding your question, but I don’t think you can purchase a cellular model Watch from T-mobile as a T-Mobile add-on item and then use it on an AT&T account.

Still, I don’t work for a mobile carrier so I can’t say for certain. Hopefully, others will comment soon.

No, I don’t want to use it on my AT&T account. I want to use it as if it has no cellular network & connect it to my phone via bluetooth.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
No, I don’t want to use it on my AT&T account. I want to use it as if it has no cellular network & connect it to my phone via bluetooth.

Then the answer is yes. As stated by Annie, get a non-cellular Watch wherever they are sold and then pair it with your iPhone.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Then the answer is yes. As stated by Annie, get a non-cellular Watch wherever they are sold and then pair it with your iPhone.
Just to clarify, if you have a cellular watch, you are not required to activate cellular. I used a cellular watch for years without activating it. It does have the advantage of being able to make emergency calls if you are without your iPhone and away from WiFi - the GPS watch cannot do this. (It's a relatively minor advantage of course, and perhaps not worth the premium cost of the LTE version of the watch.)

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Just to clarify, if you have a cellular watch, you are not required to activate cellular. I used a cellular watch for years without activating it. It does have the advantage of being able to make emergency calls if you are without your iPhone and away from WiFi - the GPS watch cannot do this. (It's a relatively minor advantage of course, and perhaps not worth the premium cost of the LTE version of the watch.)
Yes sir. That is correct.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Do the carriers sell non-cellular watches? I didn't think they would. I just checked Verizon's web site; they don't seem to.

I’m wearing a non-cellular series 8 right now.

But I got it from Apple. I don’t get anything from the carriers anymore.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I’m wearing a non-cellular series 8 right now.

But I got it from Apple. I don’t get anything from the carriers anymore.
Of course I know Apple sells them. But I don't think that AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, US Cellular, etc., do. So "just purchase a non-cellular watch from AT&T" that you posted yesterday is not a thing that you can do.