BatteryLife After Jailbreak: Tell Your Story

iVenom

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Ok I hope this thread will help people worried about battery issues and jailbreaking. Here is my average usage before the jailbreak 7.5h, I have gone to 9h sitting at home on wifi and have had as low as 5h in weak coverage.

48578852.jpg

Now after my first day of the jailbreak. I didnt sync my phone as not to change my backup incase I didnt like how the jailbreak played with my iPhone4. I used it like I did before the jailbreak 40% brightness, location on 3g off and on when I thought about it, and push set to manually. The only j/b apps I had were sbsettings, rifle lock sound, mobile terminal, retro phone dialer(didnt work), and winterboard.

9a9b4be7.jpg

I was like crap :eek: my good batterylife is gone! But then I remebered that this was apart of the j/b world you have to baby your battery a little more. I lost the first 11% of juice after 20 minutes of use and 4h standby, before the jailbreak I'd get 4h standy by off 1%. So after cutting off 3g more and making sure not to run location all the time and cut off wifi I got a better result.

7e9a96d4.jpg

Happy with getting next to normal performance out of my battery I synced with my pc added the pdf blocker turned the brightness up to 60% and was using it like I always did. Next thing I knew I have 2.2 h usage at 89% so I think lets see how far this goes....

2ebbdcbd.jpg

Whoa :eek:! My longest life yet! I was checking email while listening to podcast on my bluetooth. Checking into mytown then playing angrybirds and megajump. Texting inbetween words with friends moves, I was all over the board with apps. I think the increase is odd cause I turned the brightness up I think closer to 70% but I dont want to over exaggerate. One thing I did notice is that with using more edge I had more bars so maybe the phone wasnt struggling to hold onto 3g so that helped...not sure. Any stories like mine or more insight into how my batterylife got better after the jailbreak. Thanks

TampaDude

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Jailbreaking your iPhone doesn't really affect your battery life. I have no issues with my iPhone. Bluetooth, GPS, and heavy 3G usage will, though. If your battery life sucks, you might want to review the apps you're running.

loanhighknight

Feb 24, 2010
Visit site
Jailbreaking your iPhone doesn't really affect your battery life. I have no issues with my iPhone. Bluetooth, GPS, and heavy 3G usage will, though. If your battery life sucks, you might want to review the apps you're running.

See, I keep hearing this, but my experience is very different. I haven't installed anything that does anything battery-intensive in the background with my jailbreak, yet my battery life has been reduced to about half what it was on the vanilla OS. I've been told that this must, therefore, be a bum battery--because the battery isn't affected by the jailbreaking script. And yet, when I restore the firmware to the original 4.0.1, the original battery longevity is restored.

The applications that run on my phone haven't changed at all. I'm no more or less careful than I was on the vanilla OS to close apps in the multitasking bar after I am done with the app. And, again, other than Cydia, and biteSMS, there's nothing on my phone that wasn't there originally. And yet, my mileage is congruent with his.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
Jailbreak does effect the battery life. There are additional tasks that run on boot that enable the jailbreak. That alone drains battery more. Period.

TampaDude

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Jailbreak does effect the battery life. There are additional tasks that run on boot that enable the jailbreak. That alone drains battery more. Period.

My battery life is fine. I don't notice any difference from the jailbreak compared to before the jailbreak.

iVenom

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
My battery life is fine. I don't notice any difference from the jailbreak compared to before the jailbreak.

Well you may be lucky but you can see from my screen caps that a change did occur when I did the jailbreak, just as it did on my 3gs. The funny things is after a cycle the battery life was fixed. I work in the same place with no service indoors and live in the same place. I dont kill apps all the time I just use it like normal. Look like some of us get lucky and some dont with the jailbreak.

newiphoneuser

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
my battery life is exactly the same as pre jailbreak. Jailbreak does not affect your battery life, or i should say, SHOULD not affect your battery life. Yes the process on boot to enable 3rd party code does use a little more battery than if it were not running but if your battery life is cut by half, you've got something wrong.

s7arscr3am

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
I've seen a slight decrease in battery life, but nothing outrageous. Considering the usage, I'm fairly sure I'd be seeing the same drain on a non-Jailbroken phone.

iVenom

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
i dont think it does anything but i could be wrong. i mentioned pdf blocker because it was one of the few jb apps i put on, and if it had anything to do with the battery life im sure someone would know. I figured the best way know whats going on is to list everything i had on.

melmoe

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I did notice a difference in battery life after JB my 3Gs. Before, if I had used my phone quite a bit, it would at 40% or so when I put it on the dock when I'd go to bed at night. After JB, it would be at 40% around 6:00pm.
A while back I made the decision that having my phone jail broken wasn't really something I cared that much about, so I restored it. Now, but battery life is still the same as when it was JB! Possibly worse, now that I think about it.
Anyone else noticing this?

melmoe

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Most of the day, my phone is in my pocket doing nothing. No wifi or bluetooth on. Then when I get home, I'll use it quite a bit during the evening. After a day like that, I used to be at about 60% or so by bedtime, but now if I check my phone its at 50% by lunch! I don't get it.

melmoe

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
No, I'm saying that my battery life now that I have return to factory settings and gotten rid of the jb is only half of what it was when I bought the phone.

PinkBanana

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
Mine, if I use it a bit at work jumps from 100% to 98% in the space of 8mins, (my journey to work) then will run down on its own, not using it to 76%. By the time I get home from work at 7pm it's run down to like 40%. 3G is off, notifications are off and I make sure multitasking is not running any apps in the background and it is Jailbroken.

macharborguy

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
how long are you letting your battery charge for. 100% does not always mean a full charge. After the battery hits 100%, let it charge for another 30/45 minutes. That 100% point will last much longer before dropping to 99% with that extra amount of charge, i have noticed.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dguc