Automation not working

blueszz

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Hello Everyone,

I recently discovered Siri Shortcuts and automations. I have several that run successfully at specific times.
I would love to have an automation that turns off DND when I'm back in reach of my SSID. Can't get that one working.

There isn't an option 'Aks to run', so basically I'm left with the next settings:

Enable this Automation: "On"
When: When iPhone SE 20202 - Nicole joins "My SSID"
Do: Set Do Not Disturb
Turn Do Not Disturb "Off"

There are no other options to adjust.

When I test this automation within the shortcuts app, it does turn off DND.

---------------------

Secondly I would love to have this automation working the other way around. When I'm out of reach of my SSID, turn DND On. Looks like this isn't possible at all?

----------------------

I couldn't figure out how to insert images, I hope my description about how I've set up this automation will do.

Thank you,

Nicole

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hopefully, someone will come along soon to provide some assistance. In the meantime, let us know if you get it working beforehand.

blueszz

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Thank you @Just_Me_D
I tried again several times and I don't think there is a way to make the automation I want. While programming this easy automation, I never have the option to turn of 'Ask before Running'. It does ask to run by default. Bummer.

When I come home (in reach of my SSID) the automation sends a notification on my phone with the question if I want to run that automation. Whenever I confirm it, the automation behaves like expected. But asking to run this particular automation makes it useless. I can as well turn it off manually as confirming the 'ask to run'. Same amount of steps to take for the same result.

The notification from the automation is delivered quietly, so also doesn't work as a reminder.

If someone knows a work around, please let me kno.

If I knew where to do so, I would report this issue to Apple. Would present it as feature request.

I made a shortcut that lets me adjust how long I want the devices (iPhone and Watch) in DND mode. For example 40 minutes, or 3.5 hours, whatever I like at that moment. I can choose a timespan as need. Useful to but not what I hoped to achieve.

In the meanwhile I discovered that it's possible for the iPhone to send an audible alert with an automation, when battery is at 100% charge. Nice feature too.

Battery Level
Battery Level Equals 100% (can be adjusted, for instance 80%)
Next
Add Action
Apps
Watch
Ping my Phone
Next
Turn Aks before Running off
Done

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Instead of when connecting to your SSID, have you tried setting the automation when you arrive at your home location? Or the other/opposite when you leave your current location?

Location arrival/departure are options for the "where" for personal automations.

FWIW, I had a personal automation to change my Apple Watch face whenever I end a workout, and it works maybe 1/4 of the time. (THat's better than prior to 14.3, when it never worked at all.)

blueszz

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Good point, didn't think of it.
I haven't tried using my location, give it a try tomorrow. Reason I didn't try this is that I don't want location services on for 24/7 for privacy reasons + I think it might drain the battery rather fast? I might be wrong.
Are these valid concerns? Is it something to worry about at all?

I have two automations to change the Watch face at a set time. These work flawlessly. Another one changes my Watch face when I snooze an alarm.

I just made the automation to change the watch face after a workout. Curious if it works for me after I finish a workout.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Reason I didn't try this is that I don't want location services on for 24/7 for privacy reasons + I think it might drain the battery rather fast? I might be wrong.
Are these valid concerns? Is it something to worry about at all?

I have location services on 24/7 and I always end the day (usually 7am to 11pm) with over 50% battery left, and I use my phone hard all throughout the day.

As for your privacy reasons? That's something you have to figure out.

blueszz

May 15, 2014
Visit site
I have location services on 24/7 and I always end the day (usually 7am to 11pm) with over 50% battery left, and I use my phone hard all throughout the day.

As for your privacy reasons? That's something you have to figure out.

I do have location services on, I wasn’t clear I guess (not a native speaker). Some apps I gave permission, others not or are set to ask each time. Battery life is OK for an iPhone SE 2020. My previous phone died and needed a new phone ASAP else I would have waited for the 12. I like it small.

Thinking about privacy, I guess I shouldn’t worry about it too much as we are not talking about third party apps.

I tried your automation to set a specific watch face after ending a workout. I tried it twice when I walked the dogs separately. So far it didn’t work for me.

I made an automation where I used my exact location as trigger to set DND off. There wasn’t a possibility to choose for ‘ask to run’ or not. This automation failed too, not even the notification to run it or not popped up. To be sure I’ll check tomorrow again. Bedtime here.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I have two automations to change the Watch face at a set time. These work flawlessly. Another one changes my Watch face when I snooze an alarm.

My time-based automation to change the watch face works fine. It's just the "end of a workout" one that rarely does. (I have them both turned off right now. I turn them back on with each new iOS update to see if Apple has fixed it.)

iPhones are very efficient about location-based actions (or geo-fencing). I understand turning it off for third party apps, but first-party apps and system services - Apple so far should be trusted for this. They insist they will not sell or share this information ever, and, in fact, I believe that these are all processed on-device.

blueszz

May 15, 2014
Visit site
My time-based automation to change the watch face works fine. It's just the "end of a workout" one that rarely does. (I have them both turned off right now. I turn them back on with each new iOS update to see if Apple has fixed it.)

iPhones are very efficient about location-based actions (or geo-fencing). I understand turning it off for third party apps, but first-party apps and system services - Apple so far should be trusted for this. They insist they will not sell or share this information ever, and, in fact, I believe that these are all processed on-device.

I realize I do have apps using location services 24/7, for instance apps for public transport. And they are third party apps ;-) and there wasn't a negative impact on battery life when I installed them and granted permission.

Besides, my phone, especially the new watch easily (!!!) brings me through the day, I better ask myself what I worry about ;-)

Thank you so far.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77