Anybody go from a HTC One M8 to an iPhone 6?

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I've had every iPhone since the 3G. I've loved them all until my second 5S (the lightning port failed on my first one). I decided to sell my 5S for a M8. I've still got a few days to trade the M8 in for the iPhone 6. I don't really have any problems with Android, and I have fallen in love with the Boomsound speakers, but don't feel like it's as elegant as iOS. The build quality is great on the M8, but I went to an AT&T store and the 6 build just blew me away! Have any of you guys gone from the M8 to the iP6? What do you think? What are the biggest advantages/disadvantages?

RobbyRob

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
I went from the M8 to the iPhone 6. Never looking back. 4.7in screen in a smaller and less bulky form factor. Build quality is just as good. And you get the iOS quality apps. You won't regret it.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I went from the M8 to the iPhone 6. Never looking back. 4.7in screen in a smaller and less bulky form factor. Build quality is just as good. And you get the iOS quality apps. You won't regret it.

I know iOS in and out. I'm a long time user. In fact, the M8 is my first Android device and I've only had it a week. No doubt the build quality and size of the 6 is just about perfect. I'm just a little worried about going from 1080 down to 720. I watched a movie trailer side by side and the M8 definitely looks a little better, and I know I'd miss BoomSound. The battery life is way better on the M8 too,I just can't decide if the more elegant OS and smoother experience is worth the tradeoffs. I think the battery has me most concerned. How has battery been for you on the 6?

RobbyRob

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
I got 8 hours use with 13 hours standby time last night. That's about the same as the M8. And I can understand the boom sound. But the speaker on the iPhone is loud enough for my use. I would say the quality of the apps are the biggest selling point for me. Once you get over all the phone gimmicks it comes down to how it works. Keyboard is much more accurate when typing fast on the iPhone. And webpages load much faster on the iPhone also. The slimness of the iPhone also makes it a little better in the pocket.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I got 8 hours use with 13 hours standby time last night. That's about the same as the M8. And I can understand the boom sound. But the speaker on the iPhone is loud enough for my use. I would say the quality of the apps are the biggest selling point for me. Once you get over all the phone gimmicks it comes down to how it works. Keyboard is much more accurate when typing fast on the iPhone. And webpages load much faster on the iPhone also. The slimness of the iPhone also makes it a little better in the pocket.

I truly can't get over how great the 6 feels. The way the screen tapers down into the case almost feels like it is one piece. Not glass and metal. I kinda wish I had more experience with Android because it's making it a very difficult decision. I guess I need to go back to the store and play around with the 6 a little more to make up my mind. It almost feels like I'm gonna think I made the wrong decision no matter what I do which is wrong, because they're both great devices.

Haha. I just don't know if I can go back to using a dumb phone until the 6 comes in because I'll have to return the M8 before I order the 6. My local store doesn't have any in stock and recommended me ordering one. They said they didn't know when they were getting more. Sounded a bit suspect to me though. May go back and ask somebody else.

bucketheadmn

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I have a M8 and waiting for my 6 to ship. Been Android user forever.... Looking forward to the change in os though. I know I'll miss the front speakers, but not sure I'll be able to tell 1080 from 720 on a 4.7" screen.......

Posted via the iMore App for Android

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I have a M8 and waiting for my 6 to ship. Been Android user forever.... Looking forward to the change in os though. I know I'll miss the front speakers, but not sure I'll be able to tell 1080 from 720 on a 4.7" screen.......

Posted via the iMore App for Android

When I watched video from the 6 it didn't look that much different until I put both phones side by side and played vids at the same time. It was only certain conditions I could tell a difference. Like the movie trailer I watched had an explosion. It looked better on the M8. I think day to day I won't notice. Honestly, I think that's why I like the M8 so much. Because it's different. After using iOS for 6 yrs Android is just kinda fun to play with. I wonder if that's gonna last though. That's my quandary. It's fun now, but in 3 months will it still be something I like?

The oddest thing for me is that now I've gotten used to typing in portrait and seeing landscape video on the M8 the iPhone looks so narrow. That's the one thing I always loved about iPhones. The aspect ratio. For me the perfect phone would be and iOS in the body of a M8/iPhone 6 hybrid. In 11 years of owning smartphones I've honestly never been this conflicted over which one I want.

GCMS

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I used to be an iPhone basher back in the day and was pro android. I got fed up with android because the phones were always "golden" for about 4 months roughly then the lag would start the constant force close on apps and on and on. I got fed up and decided to give apple a try. I went from gs2 to iPhone 5 and I have never ever had any problems with this phone! Never had a force close app and it still runs as smooth as when I got it out of the box. There's just no comparison. Apple phones just work. I briefly thought about going back to android because I do miss the customization but at the end of the day I love that my phone is dependable and problem free. And am upgrading to 6+.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I used to be an iPhone basher back in the day and was pro android. I got fed up with android because the phones were always "golden" for about 4 months roughly then the lag would start the constant force close on apps and on and on. I got fed up and decided to give apple a try. I went from gs2 to iPhone 5 and I have never ever had any problems with this phone! Never had a force close app and it still runs as smooth as when I got it out of the box. There's just no comparison. Apple phones just work. I briefly thought about going back to android because I do miss the customization but at the end of the day I love that my phone is dependable and problem free. And am upgrading to 6+.

I don't really care about customization at all. I do love that iOS rarely runs into problems, and if it does it's usually a really easy fix. It seems like work to get an Android phone to work the way I want it to, which I guess is okay. My biggest thing is now that I'm used to the sound quality (both through the headphones and speakers) and the screen quality, the iPhone feels a little chintzy almost. I'm super worried about long-term as well. I don't want a phone that works well now, but in 8 months is full of lag or stutters. I really just want an iPhone 6 with BoomSound and the 1080p/aspect ratio of the M8. Is that too much to ask? Hahaha

GCMS

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I don't really care about customization at all. I do love that iOS rarely runs into problems, and if it does it's usually a really easy fix. It seems like work to get an Android phone to work the way I want it to, which I guess is okay. My biggest thing is now that I'm used to the sound quality (both through the headphones and speakers) and the screen quality, the iPhone feels a little chintzy almost. I'm super worried about long-term as well. I don't want a phone that works well now, but in 8 months is full of lag or stutters. I really just want an iPhone 6 with BoomSound and the 1080p/aspect ratio of the M8. Is that too much to ask? Hahaha

tekjunkie28

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

This is 110% correct.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I hear ya would love boom sound on iPhone maybe beats will be the next thing on next iPhone.

I think they've been working on sound quality for a while, but maybe the tech isn't there yet. Not sure how long you've been following Apple, but they hired one of the engineers that helped create THX a few years ago. They also have one of the PureView inventors on staff now. I think in a few years Apple is gonna do something insane when it comes to media creation/consumption. I'm talking iPod/iTunes revolutionary.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BigBawseEB