Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 44 of 44
Like Tree17Likes
  1. #26  
    JustMe'D's Avatar

    Posts
    17,173 Posts
    Global Posts
    17,383 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4

    Default Don't see the point..

    Quote Originally Posted by impaler View Post
    I like how people are defending the non-retina screen on the mini, like folks that now demand a high res screen are unreasonable. They don't like it and that's that. I am in that camp, after my third Gen iPad, will never buy another non-retina iPad. Too used to the quality. Anything else is a downgrade. When I look at my girlfriend's iPad 2 it looks awful and low res to me.
    Not caring about a retina display is not defending non-retina displays and not worshipping a retina display is not hating it. Some of us, believe it or not, could care less about a retina display....Period!... and we don't mind that some of you do. Remember, what doesn't make sense to some makes perfect sense to others........so don't hate or frown upon people who opt for the non-retina display iPad Mini. It is their choice and not yours to make for them.
  2. Thread AuthorThread Author   #27  
    cardfan's Avatar
    iMore Guru

    Posts
    1,921 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,545 Global Posts

    Default Re: Don't see the point..

    Quote Originally Posted by JustMe'D View Post
    Not caring about a retina display is not defending non-retina displays and not worshipping a retina display is not hating it. Some of us, believe it or not, could care less about a retina display....Period!... and we don't mind that some of you do. Remember, what doesn't make sense to some makes perfect sense to others........so don't hate or frown upon people who opt for the non-retina display iPad Mini. It is their choice and not yours to make for them.
    No offense, but I'm not sure you've ever owned an ipad with higher resolution. I mean, you've already declared more than once you don't see the difference between screens on the ipad 2 & 3. You don't seem to care about speed. You answer almost every response with a snarky "thanks for your post and have a good day" nonsense. It gets a little tiresome to even respond to you. You're a pretty wishy-washy poster. It's like I'm debating Mr. Magoo. That's how I picture you.

    For those who may not know:
    Quincy Magoo is a wealthy, short-statured retiree who gets into a series of comical situations as a result of his nearsightedness, compounded by his stubborn refusal to admit the problem. However, through uncanny streaks of luck, the situation always seems to work itself out for him, leaving him no worse than before.
  3. #28  
    JustMe'D's Avatar

    Posts
    17,173 Posts
    Global Posts
    17,383 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4

    Default Don't see the point..

    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    No offense,
    None taken.
    but I'm not sure you've ever owned an ipad with higher resolution.
    You're right. I have not, but I can easily go and purchase one.
    I mean, you've already declared more than once you don't see the difference between screens on the ipad 2 & 3.
    That is incorrect. I have often stated how gorgeous the retina display is. I've also advised people to go with the iPad with the retina display if money is not an issue. Yet, I've also said on many occasions that my iPad 2 is more than sufficient for my needs and I have no intentions of upgrading it unless it craps out on me.
    You don't seem to care about speed.
    Also incorrect. Speed is subjective. A 2-second difference in load time is not an issue for me and many others.
    You answer almost every response with a snarky "thanks for your post and have a good day" nonsense.
    My wishing people a good day, a great evening, a safe & pleasant weekend is what I really mean. That is the type of person I am and it has nothing to do with being snarky. I'm no Saint, but I do have manners, morals and respect for people.
    It gets a little tiresome to even respond to you.
    That is why choice is so important. You can always choose to respond or not to respond. Ive stated on numerous occasions that i am a fan of free speech whether I agree with someone or not.
    You're a pretty wishy-washy poster. It's like I'm debating Mr. Magoo. That's how I picture you.
    (laughing)...It is not a problem for me to agree and disagree with the same person because my responses are usually based on a specific post/reply. For example, if JohnDoe posted a comment that I agreed with, I may "like" the post, and if JaneDoes posted a reply that I agree with, I may "like" her post, too. If that's wishy-washy then so be it. Anyway, thank you for your reply and I hope you have a safe & pleasant weekend. Yes, I do mean that...

    For those who may not know:
  4. #29  
    Rocket_Girl's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    247 Posts
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts

    Default Re: Don't see the point..

    Quote Originally Posted by Garz View Post
    My retina iPad 3 is now collecting dust. Yeah I wish the mini had retina but after a couple of days I adjusted just fine. iPad mini is my favorite iPad yet. I love this so much, I turned off data on my LTE iPad 3 and turned on tethering on my i5 so I can use my iPad mini anywhere.
    ^^that. Me too. Turned off LTE data to iPad 3 (limited edition). Took it off data share plan. Tethering works beautifully. Can -- and do -- carry mini EVERYWHERE.

    Difference between retina on iPad 3 and non- retina on mini was noticeable *at first* and when comparing side by side. Thing is, while many shoppers compare side by side, few buyers actually USE them that way. For me, retina on full- size iPad is like holiday china: may be lovely, but the everyday stuff is what I *use*. It's the same with mini - and therein lies the value. For me. To each his or her own. Here in the first world, these are choices rather than problems...
    Last edited by Rocket_Girl; 11-10-2012 at 01:43 PM.
    JustMe'D likes this.
  5. #30  
    OTACORB's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    636 Posts
    Global Posts
    701 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.0

    Default Re: Don't see the point..

    I got the iPad mini and absolutely noticed the difference in the display from my previous retina iPad. However, I didn't sit there and compare them back and fourth as I used them. No, I took my iPad mini and just started using it just as I had my larger iPad before it. But suddenly found I as able to use it to connect to my car audio system which controls music app and Pandora. I never did this with the bigger iPad, but the iPad Mini has a perfect place in my vehicle to allow this. I often left my larger iPad because well sometimes it just wasn't that convenient to bring along. However, the size of the iPad Mini sort of got me to bringing it with me more and I am using it a lot more than I did the previous larger iPad. Now that I've been using it for while, unless I just compare the displays... I've forgotten about the differences. People are just spoiled and Apple has no one to blame, but themselves for this. Nonetheless I think the iPad mini is a great little device and very much so a keeper. So, I very much so see the point!
    JustMe'D likes this.
  6. #31  
    lonbeehold's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    217 Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS6

    Default Re: Don't see the point..

    For my use and needs, I completely agree with the OP. I played with the mini today at Apple. I love the size and the form factor. Swiping around to a few apps, things looked great. Then I went to Newsstand. And Flipboard. And iBooks. And that was the end of the mini experiment for me. I do a great deal reading on my iPad and for me, there is absolutely no going back from the Retina display. I carry my iPad 3 with me every day, along with my iPhone 5 and my Kindle. It all fits comfortably in my bag or purse and I have everything I use with me at all times. I would not have minded a smaller lighter iPad, which is why I went to check out the mini, but for me, it's just not worth the downgrade of the display.
  7. #32  
    gixxer07600's Avatar
    iPhone Beginner

    Posts
    89 Posts
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts

    Default Re: Don't see the point..

    This device is pretty cool. Sure the retina displays look nicer but I don't realize anything until I put it side by side with my iPhone 5. I love the size of this thing too. So much more convienant to use. Love that you can palm it. It's not that slow honestly. I have yet to have any kind of lag with it.
  8. #33  
    RealNeal's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    215 Posts

    Default Re: Don't see the point..

    Couple of thoughts on the display...

    The display in the Mini is actually new technology - GF2. Its what allows it to be so thin. I believe this is the first product to use this technology. It also has a higher pixel density and smaller pixels than the iPad 2. For what I use it for, its fine.

    Rene explained on an earlier thread that Apple was pretty constrained to the current resolution in order to maintain compatability with existing iPad apps. It was also necessary to keep the device thin, cool and have decent battery life. There are trade-offs in everything.

    Apple is currently investing heavily in Sharp's IGZO screen technology, which allows for much brighter, higher density screens that use far less power. When that technology is ready, we'll probably see a Retina iPad mini.

    So if not having Retina bothers you - don't buy a Mini just yet. If you love the size, light weight and portability the Mini offers, its a great little device.
    OTACORB likes this.
  9. #34  
    tlo07's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    296 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,068 Global Posts

    Default Re: Don't see the point..

    I tried out the Mini in Best Buy. I thought it was too slow loading webpages. Granted, I don't know how fast it would be if there weren't a hundred other devices on the same wifi, but the regular size iPad didn't seem slow. I din't think the screen looked bad at all.
  10. #35  
    gvndeb60's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    320 Posts
    Global Posts
    842 Global Posts

    Default Don't see the point..

    Here is my stupid opinion.....

    When they announced the iPad mini and there was no retina I was surprised. I understand why they didn't but I consider retina a huge selling point for apple. I didn't think I would get a mini due to this because I love the screen on my iPad 3 and iPhone 5.

    However, I wanted to see one in person because the size fits my needs better than my iPad 3. At first I could notice the screen. Then I held the iPad mini away from my face where I would normally use it and it wasn't as bad. The only real noticeable pixelation is on very small text but I can just zoom in a little and it is fine. Not the deal breaker I thought it would be.

    As far as performance, I think it is fine. I do not notice any lag and it is very fast in my use. The only thing I don't do is heavy gaming so I can't speak to that.

    At the end I bought one and gave the iPad 3 to my wife. She is a student so the bigger screen and retina is better for her with reading books and writing papers. I love the size of my mini, I use it more because I can take it more places with me due to its size.

    This is my opinion, everyone has different needs. That being said I still feel Apple hit a home run with the mini.


    Sent from my iPad mini using Tapatalk
    OTACORB and iEd like this.
  11. #36  
    DigitalMadness's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    16 Posts
    Global Posts
    407 Global Posts

    Default Re: Don't see the point..

    Quote Originally Posted by gvndeb60 View Post
    Here is my stupid opinion.....

    When they announced the iPad mini and there was no retina I was surprised. I understand why they didn't but I consider retina a huge selling point for apple. I didn't think I would get a mini due to this because I love the screen on my iPad 3 and iPhone 5.

    However, I wanted to see one in person because the size fits my needs better than my iPad 3. At first I could notice the screen. Then I held the iPad mini away from my face where I would normally use it and it wasn't as bad. The only real noticeable pixelation is on very small text but I can just zoom in a little and it is fine. Not the deal breaker I thought it would be.

    As far as performance, I think it is fine. I do not notice any lag and it is very fast in my use. The only thing I don't do is heavy gaming so I can't speak to that.

    At the end I bought one and gave the iPad 3 to my wife. She is a student so the bigger screen and retina is better for her with reading books and writing papers. I love the size of my mini, I use it more because I can take it more places with me due to its size.

    This is my opinion, everyone has different needs. That being said I still feel Apple hit a home run with the mini.


    Sent from my iPad mini using Tapatalk
    I agreed with you. The Retina display is a nice to have; not a must have have on a 7" tablet. The whole Retina thing was a huge marketing term made up by apple. It is like the TV's 1080P. All the marketing say, you must have 1080P. Well not really, a lot of people were buying TV smaller than 46" and watching them from greater than 10 feet away. At that distance, you can't tell the difference between 1080 and 720. In fact on a good quality transfer DVD (480p), most people can't tell the difference between that and HD.
    Thanked by:
    axllebeer (11-16-2012)
  12. #37  
    CairnsRock's Avatar
    iPhone Nanite

    Posts
    4 Posts
    Global Posts
    873 Global Posts

    Default Re: Don't see the point..

    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalMadness View Post
    I agreed with you. The Retina display is a nice to have; not a must have have on a 7" tablet. The whole Retina thing was a huge marketing term made up by apple. It is like the TV's 1080P. All the marketing say, you must have 1080P. Well not really, a lot of people were buying TV smaller than 46" and watching them from greater than 10 feet away. At that distance, you can't tell the difference between 1080 and 720. In fact on a good quality transfer DVD (480p), most people can't tell the difference between that and HD.
    Excellent point. I like it. Some times, tech gets silly and much more than is really needed. Some examples are..

    How thin does your tv need to be.

    How many pixels does your point and shoot camera need.

    3D tv with no channel support.

    Blue ray players when video content is all going on line.

    Better sound than the the human ear can detect.
    axllebeer likes this.
  13. #38  
    Fausty82's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    8,597 Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

    Default Re: Don't see the point..

    Quote Originally Posted by CairnsRock View Post
    Excellent point. I like it. Some times, tech gets silly and much more than is really needed. Some examples are..

    How thin does your tv need to be.

    How many pixels does your point and shoot camera need.

    3D tv with no channel support.

    Blue ray players when video content is all going on line.

    Better sound than the the human ear can detect.
    That’s why Mr Baskins and Mr Robbins have 31 flavors... different strokes for different folks... we will all never agree on everything... so there are different flavors... just because you don’t want it doesn’t mean I don’t...
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
  14. #39  
    trmoney24's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    108 Posts
    Global Posts
    422 Global Posts

    Default Re: Don't see the point..

    Quote Originally Posted by RoboWarriorSr View Post
    I truthfully agree about the processor in the iPad mini. It should at least be an A5X. Retina not so much. Most computers aren't retina but I definitely see your point. I think this problem really only applies to people who had the retina iPads.
    a5x wouldn't help with performance on the iPad mini, as far as improving processor speed of non-graphical components. The A6 would have helped in the manner you are speaking of (i believe).
  15. #40  
    DigitalMadness's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    16 Posts
    Global Posts
    407 Global Posts

    Default Re: Don't see the point..

    Quote Originally Posted by Fausty82 View Post
    That’s why Mr Baskins and Mr Robbins have 31 flavors... different strokes for different folks... we will all never agree on everything... so there are different flavors... just because you don’t want it doesn’t mean I don’t...
    This is exactly what the marketors are looking for. They sell you on what you want. Not what you need.
    It's a marketing genious to put the "i" infront of all the apple products.Especically in this "I" want world.
  16. #41  
    OTACORB's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    636 Posts
    Global Posts
    701 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.0

    Default Don't see the point..

    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalMadness View Post
    This is exactly what the marketors are looking for. They sell you on what you want. Not what you need.
    It's a marketing genious to put the "i" infront of all the apple products.Especically in this "I" want world.
    If it was just about what we need, I would say none of us NEED any of this stuff. We want it because it meets a need or desire.


    DAB
    Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
  17. #42  
    the tree's Avatar
    iPhone Nanite

    Posts
    1 Posts
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

    Default Re: Don't see the point..

    I'll take the 12 hours of bettery and light weight VS the hevyness and lower battery life of a retina display.
    I also had a nexus 7 before returning it for the mini, never had a retina display before. to be honest it's not that big of a deal.
    if yrou biggest gripe is the text isn;t as smooth....well...I can deal with some squares for the insanely light, portable, and great battery of this device.

    people who complain about retina displays always strike me as the kind of people who obsess over black levels on thier Tv and constantly desire a "cinema room"
    coming from a HP touchpad, to a nexus 7, to the mini...the mini wins on all levels. and I have been on team android since day 1, always said I would enver get an ipad/iphone VS the options android has

    people faind fault in everything, this device will have it's flaws, so will the ipad, so will buying a device that is first gen and will be outdated in 9 months(or less). you have to knwo and accept that when you buy a device like this, to think otherwise is just stupid.
    OTACORB and axllebeer like this.
  18. #43  
    axllebeer's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    26 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,986 Global Posts

    Default Re: Don't see the point..

    I'll take lighter and thinner vs heavy and thicker for the mini any day. The screen looks great if you have never experienced the iPad retina.
  19. #44  
    Fausty82's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    8,597 Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

    Default Re: Don't see the point..

    Quote Originally Posted by axllebeer View Post
    I'll take lighter and thinner vs heavy and thicker for the mini any day. The screen looks great if you have never experienced the iPad retina.
    IMHO, the screen looks great if you have experienced the iPad retina... sure it’s not retina, but it is still a great screen.
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. whats the point!!!
    By captain in forum iPhone 4
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-03-2009, 11:54 AM
  2. Still don't have the option to upgrade to 3.0?
    By oli_jgb in forum Carrier Discussion Lounge
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-25-2009, 10:43 PM
  3. iPhone 3G 32GB - Don't believe the hype?
    By sturamsden in forum iPhone 3G Forum
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-29-2008, 11:39 PM
  4. Did you see the new pictures?
    By Limozulu in forum iPhone 4
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-09-2008, 03:21 PM
  5. How Apple sees the iPhone
    By bruckwine in forum iPhone 4
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-26-2007, 09:10 PM

Posting Permissions

B