PlayStation Portal versus Remote Play on iPhone or iPad — Don't make the wrong choice this Black Friday

akaRichard

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Here's my use case...I simply want a remote play device that is truly portable with a large enough screen to make the gameplay passable.

iPad/iPhone with a controller is not portable. Not easy to just pull out and play when commuting or when in bed.
I have an iPhone 14 Pro Max with a case on it...a pain to use with the Backbone because you have to take off the case. Too much friction to take off the case and put into the Backbone for a pick up and play experience. And while the screen is passable, it still feels too small for remote play.

I'd love to consider the Steamdeck and remote play that way but I'm not really a PC gamer and the device seems too expensive for just remote play. And, with the OLED version now out, it's kinda hard to consider the LCD model despite it being cheaper now.

Believe it or not, with the "cons" above is why I'm considering the Playstation Portal. It may not be perfect but you get the controller experience with a large enough screen for $200. It's truly portable and, hopefully, just pick up and play. In a perfect world, the device would have an OLED screen and support wifi 6E but I guess that's the next version of the Portal if it's supported that long.

The cons is that the Portal doesn't support bluetooth and, strangely, doesn't currently support Playstation Cloud streaming. Hopefully, that's a future software upgrade.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77