How should I use my macbook pro as desktop computer

Ebrar Celiktas

May 28, 2017
Visit site
Hello everybody,

I've recently purchased a used Early 2015 Macbook Pro. I will be using my macbook like a desktop one and will be connecting to an external monitor. My question is, how should I charge my macbook, just leave it plugged in all the time? The reason I'm asking this question is that, I used to use a Windows laptop like a desktop one and I used to remove the battery and plug the charger cable into the laptop and use it like that. I'm not sure whether it was a logic way of keeping the battery's health good. So again, how should I charge my macbook pro? Thank you

Ariel Babalao

May 8, 2014
Visit site
You should go through a cycle once a month at least to keep the batteries elements exercise. After a year you would be at 12 cycles. I'm not sure but I think 2015 batteries can go up to 1000 cycles before you will notice batteries performance decrease.
Either way, batteries will get damage, used or not after several years. Just keep it cycling it the minimum you can. It's good for the battery.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Hey @Ebrar Celiktas ,

I'm sure you will get a variety of different answers for this question. Here is what I would do. I'm not saying mine is right though. 😃

When I go to bed, and the laptop has been shut down, I would unplug it. Then, about once a month I would drain the battery to about 20% and then charge it back up again. I've been doing this for 6 years and my battery seems to still be going strong.

Ebrar Celiktas

May 28, 2017
Visit site
Thank you very much guys. Alright then, I'll keep my MBP plugged in most of the time and do the cycle thing once a month at least. Thank you again:)

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Thanks everyone. I also recently purchased a 2015 MacBook Pro and was curious about charging and maintaining good battery life. I've realize there is no direct answer to this question...LOL. I just leave mine plugged in until it goes traveling. I'm going to have to make this Baby last a long time as I don't like the current versions of the MackBook Pro. Apple removed the iconic lighted emblem and other things is why I went with the 2015 model.

metalchick719

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
That's really up to you. I keep my Sony VAIO running Windows 7 plugged in all the time, but my Macs are only plugged in when I'm using them and when the battery is draining. Personally, I have used one of my MacBook Pros as a desktop (in place of the VAIO when I was having issues with my original one; I should explain that the motherboard died and then I got a nearly identical VAIO and installed the hard drive from the old one into the replacement). However, I didn't keep it plugged in and just did the same as I mentioned above.

lusid1

Dec 4, 2016
Visit site
PC laptops typically have really poor thermal management, so if you use them like a desktop with the battery installed the heat from the system cooks the battery. Macbooks on the other hand have particularly good thermal management.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Greetings all. I'm very glad I came upon this thread as I was having the same question. I just bought a brand new 2016 MacBook Pro 15" with touch bar and was wondering about battery life and performance if using it like a desktop. I also keep an external monitor connected when in the office and after reading this thread I'll start keeping it plugged in and doing a battery cycle once a month and see how things go.

Thanks.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234