New MacBook Pro

cutdacheck2003

May 18, 2013
Visit site
I have the newest macbook pro 13 inch no touchbar and I wanted to know is anyone having an issue with the computer not shutting down? I click shutdown every time Im done using it but as soon as I open the laptop it cuts itself on. Is that supposed to happen. And I know what youre thinking "well if you open the laptop arent you about to use it" I get it but is this a feature I can turn off? I also believe that this could be a battery problem if laptop opens slightly without your knowledge.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Yes that's supposed to happen with the new Macs, they have some sort of instant on feature or something like that. No worries, you are good! :)

pkcable

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
But I dont like it PK :(

Yea you are NOT alone in that sentiment! To express your displeasure you might want to give Apple feedback...

Product Feedback - Apple

In the Windows world it would be a tough to find setting BUT you would be able to turn it off! (I use both, but Macwise I'm mostly on a 2016 MacBook, so mine does not have that "feature" thank GOD! lol)

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Hey @cutdacheck2003, Nothing wrong with your new Macbook Pro this is another 'feature' Apple has introduced into their new Macbook Pros. Im definitely on your side and i don't like like it either. I never thought for a second that me pressing the power button took up to much of my time that Apple had to automate it :D

I did read somewhere that there is a way to disable it but it involved going into the CMD. So i stopped reading after that.

Brian Embry

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site
I have little patience. I would love for a laptop to be on when I opened it. Let's get the show going is what I say!!!

Posted via the iMore App for Android

pkcable

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I have little patience. I would love for a laptop to be on when I opened it. Let's get the show going is what I say!!!

Posted via the iMore App for Android

Right while you love it, and I'm sure there are others who do, many do not, making it a selectable option would not have killed them! lol

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Mine is instant-on, but I don't ever shut it down. Open the lid, and my watch unlocks it. So it's possible if you don't shut down (mine's a 2015).

int32_t

Mar 29, 2017
Visit site
If it's still an feature that can't be turned off when I purchase a MacBook of some type within the next year or so, the first thing I'll do is hit the Terminal to fix that little issue! Sleep does the instant-on for me, and when I want to shut off the computer, I want it to stay off until I expressly tell it to turn on ... opening the lid doesn't count. :)

Of course some folks will like this feature and that's fine. I'm just not one of them.

P.S. I think the Terminal can be a friendlier than some of the Windows menus. For some things, like suspending selective USB sleep settings, there are even multiple obscure places to check. At least the name you type in to Terminal makes logical sense!

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
P.S. I think the Terminal can be a friendlier than some of the Windows menus. For some things, like suspending selective USB sleep settings, there are even multiple obscure places to check. At least the name you type in to Terminal makes logical sense!

Nothing like a good ol' REGEDIT to get the heart rate up!

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I don't like when things are decided for me. I wish Apple would ask for feedback. I like being able to turn my devices off. When I am ready to call it a night and am charging up my phone I have to plug it in and then turn it off. I don't understand why Apple wants the device on all the time and we don't have the option. I turn it off and put on the charger it turns on automatically. That is the only thing I do not like. Same on the watch. I will charge it up and then turn it off. Android you can have it turned off and put on charger and it stays off. Geeze. LOL

cutdacheck2003

May 18, 2013
Visit site
Thats what I initially purchased. But then a day later after I setup the 2015(Pictures 5,000+ apps photoshop, final cut, office etc) clean installs on everything I go to slickdeals.net and realize they have the brand new one for less than I paid at bestbuy. I couldnt pass that up.

cutdacheck2003

May 18, 2013
Visit site
But if Apple asked for feedback every time they thought of something innovative we would have an open system which is what Mr. Jobs fought so hard against. I mean judging what was told to us in the movie. (CLOSED SYSTEM END TO END) :nerd: As far as other devices turning on when being charged I dont like that either and I start with my conspiracy theory stuff. Why do you want my devices on all the time? :BIG BROTHER:

cutdacheck2003

May 18, 2013
Visit site
Mine is instant-on, but I don't ever shut it down. Open the lid, and my watch unlocks it. So it's possible if you don't shut down (mine's a 2015).

Heres the problem with that, being someone who currently works in the wireless industry as network technician I tell people all of the time that devices arent meant to stay on forever. The power in the "shutdown" so to speak is very important especially when you are talking about device preservation.

cutdacheck2003

May 18, 2013
Visit site
if it's still an feature that can't be turned off when i purchase a macbook of some type within the next year or so, the first thing i'll do is hit the terminal to fix that little issue! Sleep does the instant-on for me, and when i want to shut off the computer, i want it to stay off until i expressly tell it to turn on ... Opening the lid doesn't count. :)

of course some folks will like this feature and that's fine. I'm just not one of them.

P.s. I think the terminal can be a friendlier than some of the windows menus. For some things, like suspending selective usb sleep settings, there are even multiple obscure places to check. At least the name you type in to terminal makes logical sense!

totally agree

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
takectrl