Anti virus for MacBook Pro

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
Does anyone have an anti virus on there MacBook? Mine is a late 2013 15" rMBP. I've bootcamped it with win 10. I have norton anti virus on the windows side but I'm wondering if I need it on the mac side too.

When I bought it almost 3years ago I asked the Apple Store if indexed one and they said no. They also said if it needed an antivirus than they would sell it.

If I put one on the mac side would it slow it down? I don't do much on it but I'm trying to get into the coding.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Ecm

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Remember, it's not just about what can/can't affect your Macbook. You could receive or download a nasty file. It may not affect you, but what happens if you forward that file to someone on a PC? I prefer the "better safe than sorry" idea.

Even some of the free versions could make a difference, like Avast Free.

ROSES5682

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
to the OP, if you do decided to get an anti virus program you may want to check with your internet provider to see if they have and discounts or free options.

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
I re read the article and read the comments. Some of the comments were talking about the antivirus running in the background. I know for almost certain that Norton's anti virus runs in the background . I also think that it also runs scans even when the computer is off so you are protected 24/7.

Now my question is since I have norton on the windows side of my mac, if I also put norton on the mac side I would probably have two anti viruses running on my MacBook. Is this a good idea? I could remove the win 10 bootcamp but I use it for some games that aren't available on OS X.

Any suggestions?

Also, would running two antivirus slow my MacBook down? That's my concern.

vectro73

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I don't have an anti-virus software on either my mac or my PC laptop. And I did not get any kind of viruses or malware for years. Thing is - you've got to use your eyes and brains any time you're surfing or downloading something. Mac OS, like any kind of *nix just can't make too much without root access(for now even with admin pwd the system is closed), so, most of the malware crap would try to ask for your password - and that's the point. So, if you suddenly see the password window - think about it - is it you executed something on purpose or is it a malware.

IvanKaramazov

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
I've never used antivirus software on my Macs, and haven't had any trouble. YMMV though, obviously, and certainly malware and viruses targeting MacOS seem to be on the rise.

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
Okay I kinda understand now. But I'm going to keep my antivirus on the windows side at least. Still I'm going to call apple support to see what they say.

I'll let everyone know once I find out something.

Thanks for the support.

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Even some of the free versions could make a difference, like Avast Free.

I use Avast Free, and it has saved my tail when I went to a site that appeared safe, but that had alot of malware. I go by the philosophy that you should never assume that anything that goes into your PC or laptop, be it a file, email, website, and so forth is clean.

iGore313

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I use Avast Free, and it has saved my tail when I went to a site that appeared safe, but that had alot of malware. I go by the philosophy that you should never assume that anything that goes into your PC or laptop, be it a file, email, website, and so forth is clean.

I use AVAST Free to. I have only needed it one, but it came in handy. Better safe than sorry.

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
I have been running Macs for 20 years and never, never have I installed anti-virus on any of my Macs. I run Windows 10 in Parallels and never run anti-virus on that side of things either. Many will disagree with me. I am not going to slow my machine down for something that is not required on a Mac. Malware is the thing to concern yourself with and that is only if you are dealing with sites that are not reputable.

Like I said, others will disagree with me, but I would rather save my money for things I actually need.

maha_wasim

Nov 9, 2016
Visit site
I've had a Norton Anti-virus software for my Windows and that scans my Windows PC from all sort of viruses. But when I bought my MacBook Air a year ago, I didn't need any Anti-virus seriously. You might be surprised but that is so true because having concerns of malware can be avoided by using your mind actively. If some window pops up or requires your password or something that is kept confidential like credit card details may be, then you need to be extra cautious whether it is authentic or just a malware trying to be injected to hack your device.

DLieSaS

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the link! – since going Mac- and iOS-only I've never thought about anti-virus-software. Really interesting article… :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2