iPhone 3GS + Updating and simlocking

Artshe

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

I have an iPhone 3GS running 4.1 IOS with ultrasn0w installed since my card is from T-Mobile and the phone is simlocked because it's from America. My problem is that i cant install any new apps from appstore and such because i require atleast 5.0 update so i need help updating my phone with my card and then jailbreak it again. I have no idea if i should update to the 5.0 / 6.0 IOS update. I'm really not this good at this stuff so i hope someone here could maybe help me out.

Thanks,

Artshe :)

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
Hello,

I have an iPhone 3GS running 4.1 IOS with ultrasn0w installed since my card is from T-Mobile and the phone is simlocked because it's from America. My problem is that i cant install any new apps from appstore and such because i require atleast 5.0 update so i need help updating my phone with my card and then jailbreak it again. I have no idea if i should update to the 5.0 / 6.0 IOS update. I'm really not this good at this stuff so i hope someone here could maybe help me out.

Thanks,

Artshe :)

1st off, welcome to iMore!!! Only way you can update to anything other than 6.1.3 is if you have your shsh blobs saved for any other firmware, you cannot downgrade without them. Open up Cydia and look at the top and it will tell you which blobs you have saved.

Be sure to introduce yourself here: http://forums.imore.com/introductions/

Artshe

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for this warm welcome, i feel loved already! :D So i have to update to 6.1.3 and then jailbreak it with Cydia + ultrasn0w? I don't need IOS 5 it's just required to download most of the apps i need for my iPhone 3GS :)

Artshe

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
I don't need an spesific update i just need atleast 5.0 IOS update so i can download and use most of the apps from the AppStore, so should i just update my phone to the latest IOS, then run Cydia + Ultrasn0w so i can sim region unlock it?

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Do me a quick favor-- post the first 5 of your serial number, and your modem firmware.

You're probably going to want to use redsn0w or sn0wbreeze to do the restore, as you need to preserve your baseband.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Just to clarify, if you update to 6.1.3 through iTunes you will lose your unlock. So no, you don't want to do that.

You DO want to find out which SHSH blobs you have, as you were originally asked. It's hard to help you without that information.

Artshe

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Not sure if this is correct, but i had no idea how to get the SHSH blobs thing because i tried looking at the top right corner so i downloaded iSH**** instead and chose:

Model: iPhone 3GS
Firmware: 4.1
Via Cydia: Couldnt toggle it because it said "SHSH Backup the requested firmware is no longer available for signing." So i skipped that.

So now i have this file on my computer and i'm not sure if you guys need that file or if the name of the file is enough:

2048532857677-iPhone2,1-4.1

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
Not sure if this is correct, but i had no idea how to get the SHSH blobs thing because i tried looking at the top right corner so i downloaded iSH**** instead and chose:

Model: iPhone 3GS
Firmware: 4.1
Via Cydia: Couldnt toggle it because it said "SHSH Backup the requested firmware is no longer available for signing." So i skipped that.

So now i have this file on my computer and i'm not sure if you guys need that file or if the name of the file is enough:

2048532857677-iPhone2,1-4.1

When u open Cydia, on top it will tell u what firmware u have saved (shsh blobs). If not look in TSS center and it tell u there. As u can see I have 5.1.1 and 6.1.3

ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1373989304.359394.jpg

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Serial number: 85027

Modem firmware: 06.15.0

Okay you already have the iPad baseband, so the best thing for you to do is:

Downgrade to 4.1 (no shsh needed) after backing up your phone. You will need a custom firmware because of your baseband. Next you can downgrade your baseband to 5.13 through redsn0w. This will fix your GPS. Then make a custom firmware for 6.1.3 using redsn0w then update through iTunes again. After that you can jailbreak, though it will be tethered. You can then install ultrasn0w and be unlocked. Any time you reboot your phone, you WILL have to BOOT TETHERED through redsn0w.

Artshe

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
I'm already running the 4.1. Why do i need to backup my phone? I have nothing important on it, is it just in case i screw up? Also as i said the phone is from USA and is locked with AT&T, but is now sim unlocked with ultrasn0w so i can use my T-Mobile card.

What exactly is a custom firmware / baseband? I don't understand half of the stuff you are saying since i have only jailbroken my iPod Touch 4G once.

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm already running the 4.1. Why do i need to backup my phone? I have nothing important on it, is it just in case i screw up? Also as i said the phone is from USA and is locked with AT&T, but is now sim unlocked with ultrasn0w so i can use my T-Mobile card.

What exactly is a custom firmware / baseband? I don't understand half of the stuff you are saying since i have only jailbroken my iPod Touch 4G once.
You should always backup your device, even if only to save the trouble of resetting it up every time. In order to downgrade the baseband, you will need to use redsn0w with a fresh 4.1. Since you already have the iPad baseband (which is a custom one. iPhones don't usually come with iPad firmware on them) you have to use special versions of iOS in order to update, otherwise iTunes will flip out.

Ultrasn0w isn't a permanent unlock. You are currently unlocked right now, but updating through iTunes (which you couldn't do anyway) would upgrade your baseband and ruin any hopes of unlocking with ultrasn0w again.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2