Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Newbie

Default Apps stuck in "Waiting" mode with no help in sight

Hi all,
    My humblest apologies if this has been reposted here before but i'm new to this and a little lost.

i wonder if anyone can help me here. I have an iphone 4 running on 5.0.1 for reasons that its JB. I went to update my apps and they have been frozen in the waiting position for 2 days now. Ive tried to delete them but to no success as the X wont show up on them. Ive installed other ones with success yet the stuck ones will not budge. Ive tried signing in and out of my account with no successrebooting after every attempt at any changereset the setting s and still no luck. Ive even tried to delete them from Itunes on my pc and then sync.no success they are still on my phone. Even the ones i dont want on my phone anymore which ive deleted on itunes are still present on my phone. I have nothing downloading on itunes that might have gotten them stuck as i dont download music from there. Ive tried updating them with still now successthey wnt change to pause or anything other than the dreaded Waiting! Im at me wits endplease can someone help me.I dont want to do a Factory reset as i dont want to lose all my stuff from Cydia, and its too much of a hastle. whether i delete them usinf Itunes and syncing on my pc they are still on my phone in the WAITING position. I use one of them all the timeAudibleand while its been reinstalled it just sits there unbudged in the waiting position. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Default Re: Apps stuck in "Waiting" mode with no help in sight

Quote Originally Posted by Pankratiast View Post
    Hi all,
    My humblest apologies if this has been reposted here before but i'm new to this and a little lost.

i wonder if anyone can help me here. I have an iphone 4 running on 5.0.1 for reasons that its JB. I went to update my apps and they have been frozen in the waiting position for 2 days now. Ive tried to delete them but to no success as the X wont show up on them. Ive installed other ones with success yet the stuck ones will not budge. Ive tried signing in and out of my account with no successrebooting after every attempt at any changereset the setting s and still no luck. Ive even tried to delete them from Itunes on my pc and then sync.no success they are still on my phone. Even the ones i dont want on my phone anymore which ive deleted on itunes are still present on my phone. I have nothing downloading on itunes that might have gotten them stuck as i dont download music from there. Ive tried updating them with still now successthey wnt change to pause or anything other than the dreaded Waiting! Im at me wits endplease can someone help me.I dont want to do a Factory reset as i dont want to lose all my stuff from Cydia, and its too much of a hastle. whether i delete them usinf Itunes and syncing on my pc they are still on my phone in the WAITING position. I use one of them all the timeAudibleand while its been reinstalled it just sits there unbudged in the waiting position. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance

1. Try downloading the app in iTunes and then sync to transfer the app to your iPhone.
    2. Delete the waiting app and reinstall it from the iTunes store.
    3. Single tap the apps icon on the home screen and it will pause the download, then go back to the App store, switch to the Updates screen and click Update to resume the download.
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
    Thanked by:
    Alli (12-14-2012)
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iPhone Newbie

As i mentioned above, i tried that and even when deleting them from itunes on my pc they're still on my phone...totally frustrated.

Global Posts
    11,699 Global Posts
    iOS Version

As i mentioned above, i tried that and even when deleting them from itunes on my pc they're still on my phone...totally frustrated.
    on your phone, log-out of the app store, then log in again... an make sure you're logging in with the same AppleID that the apps were purchased under.
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iPhone Newbie

Done that too....no success....this is really discouraging....they're just sitting there on my device whether i delete them or not from itunes or not. Ive logged in and out so many times, i even changed passwords and still nothing. Other apps install perfectly fine except for these stuck ones

Last edited by John Yester; 04-03-2013 at 07:38 PM.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    5,012 Global Posts
    iOS Version

And they won't update if you tap the app icons on your homescreen? Sometimes they freeze if you lose signal during an update, and you need to tap the icon to start the update going again.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,880 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

had this problem before. Make sure you have an internet connection. Open the task switcher and kill everything. Then open Cydia and if there are any updates do the Complete update. Then the device should either reboot or if not manually reboot it. Then hook up to iTunes and uncheck sync apps do a sync. This will remove all the apps from your ☎ just make sure you let the sync finish completely. Reboot the ☎ and hopefully the stubborn apps are gone. Click to sync your apps and check the ones you want. Let us know if it works, worked for me.
    can't upgrade via iTunes check this thread http://forum.tipb.com/jailbreak-unlo...ml#post1717460
    ~32GB Space Grey iPhone 5s(Audi)~32GB Space Grey rMini ~ 15" i7 SSD 16GB rMBP(Omega) on Mavericks~
    iPheuria aka The Jailbr3ak kid (soon to be retired)
    Thanked by:
    Danny Gregory (04-02-2013)
  8. Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  
    iPhone Newbie

Ipheura, i will try that and keep you posted.thnx...btw, whats the Task Switcher?
  9. Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  
    iPhone Newbie

Unfortunately i didnt work.......i'm starting to think i'm the only sucker who hasnt been able to get it going. They wont even delete from my phone by any means.....i dont want to do a complete factory reset. Help!!

Global Posts
    11,699 Global Posts
    iOS Version

.....i dont want to do a complete factory reset.
    It's getting to the point where that may be what you have to do...
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,880 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Unfortunately i didnt work.......i'm starting to think i'm the only sucker who hasnt been able to get it going. They wont even delete from my phone by any means.....i dont want to do a complete factory reset. Help!!
    Task Switcher - double click the home button

You tried my steps and it didn't work? Do you have Winterboard? Any themes on? If so turn off all the themes and let Winterboard restart the springboard. Then reboot the ☎ and try to remove the apps.
    can't upgrade via iTunes check this thread http://forum.tipb.com/jailbreak-unlo...ml#post1717460
    ~32GB Space Grey iPhone 5s(Audi)~32GB Space Grey rMini ~ 15" i7 SSD 16GB rMBP(Omega) on Mavericks~
  12. Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  
    iPhone Newbie

I will try that and let you know thanks. I'm at my wits end I haven't been able to get anything done with this on iphone ever since.
  13. Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  
    iPhone Newbie

Nope, all seems were originally off due to the last reset I did
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,880 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Try killing all apps in the App Switcher and reboot. What model iPhone is it? Maybe do a screenshot?
  15. Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  
    iPhone Newbie

It's a 4...been working well and still dies except for this haste. I've tried deleting them from
    Both the phone and iTunes and rebooting and still nothing. They don't want to leave the phone. I've loved in and out and rebooted so many times. I have apps on my phone on waiting that aren't even in my iTunes on the pc or in my settings "usage" folder. They're just sitting there.
  16. Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  
    iPhone Newbie

Anyone...any ideas? Please....
  17. Thread AuthorThread Author   #17  
    iPhone Newbie

C'mon people, I know there's some iPhone geniuses out there. Don't tell theres no hope?
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    5,012 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Can you post some screenshots? Something is getting lost in translation here.
    (And did you try my suggestion above—tapping the icon to resume the download?)

Also—you don't have any restrictions set in Settings>General>Restrictions to prevent deleting apps, do you?
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,880 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Quote Originally Posted by Massie View Post
    Can you post some screenshots? Something is getting lost in translation here.
    (And did you try my suggestion above—tapping the icon to resume the download?)

Also—you don't have any restrictions set in Settings>General>Restrictions to prevent deleting apps, do you?
    Like Massie I think the screenshots will help a lot in us understanding what exactly is going on.
    iPhone Nanite

If you use Match on your iPhone, check to see if you have any songs that are still downloading from iCloud. This happened to me recently where there were several song stuck downloading, I deleted the first in the list and the rest completed. As soon as the songs completed downloading, my app upgrades started moving and finished in a few minutes.
    iPhone Nanite

I worked for Apple for 3.5 years. i have never seen heard anything of this sort. I am so sorry. What i would do is make sure that you are connected to Wi-Fi and then put your iPhone in recovery mode. Sometimes, what happens is an update gets started and then you lose the Wi-Fi connection and the phone gets confused. Try my suggestion. like i mentioned i have been a very literate person on iPhones for a long time, this is the last thing you can do. If this doesnt work, back your phone up to iTunes and then do a factory reset.
    iPhone Nanite

I had this happen to me. If I remember correctly I fixed it by logging out of my Apple account in Settings and logging back in.
    iPhone Nanite

Hey if you find out how to fix this problem, let me know, Just tried to update instagram and am having the same issues. I also have an Iphone 4 that is JB and ive tried everything.
    iMore Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by bromo999 View Post
    If you use Match on your iPhone, check to see if you have any songs that are still downloading from iCloud. This happened to me recently where there were several song stuck downloading, I deleted the first in the list and the rest completed. As soon as the songs completed downloading, my app upgrades started moving and finished in a few minutes.
    this happened to me two days ago. Songs from itunes match and app updates are stuck. I've tried signing out and signing in, still the same result. Syncing from itunes on the computer doesn't work, apps are stuck on "installing". Now i've restored from a backup and the problem seems solved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    iPhone Nanite

I'm having the same problem too. Did a hard reset and even reset all settings and still my app is stuck on waiting.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast