iTunes and Windows 8 woes

tlo07

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
I've had this problem twice now-- with my iPad mini and with my iPhone 5s. I recently transferred my library from an aging Windows 7 laptop to a Windows 8 (yuck) laptop via Home Share over wifi. I plugged my iPad mini in to the new computer and I was informed there was an update available. The file downloaded and extracted. When it comes time for the device to restart, it disconnects from the laptop but then can't seem to reconnect. So it just hangs. After about 1/2 hour I resign myself to the fact that it is not going to reconnect and then I have to unplug it, rendering the device useless because it seems to be without an operating system of any sort. Recovery mode and DFU mode do not work at this point.

After 4 hours of work on my iPad mini one night, here is the process it takes to get my device working again:

1. Manually download .ipsw file to computer for later use.

2. Navigate to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers

3. Right click on usbaapl.inf and choose "install". (I think this has something to do with a corrupt file but I'm not sure).

4. After installation is complete, restart computer.

5. Open iTunes and plug brain-dead iDevice into computer.

6. Put iDevice into DFU mode (recover mode will not suffice).

7. Shift + restore

8. Navigate to correct .ipsw file on computer

9. The device will now restore.

The first time this happened with my iPad mini I thought it was a fluke because I lost my internet connection while downloading the file. But then it happened again when I tried to plug in my iPhone 5s (although the internet connection remained during download of the updated firmware). I cannot go through this every time I need to plug in a device (I also have iPods and another iPhone in the family). Can someone please tell me wtf is going on and how can I fix it? The iCloud restore does not restore all of my music as some of my music was ripped from CDs and not purchased via iTunes. Also, if I would do the iTunes Match, would the iCloud backup then include those ripped songs? I am frustrated beyond belief. Luckily after spending 4 hours trying to fix my Mini I knew what to do when I borked my iPhone. I would still rather be able to just plug in the device like I use to do with my Windows 7 laptop.

Thanks.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Ah the wonders of Win8! Have you tried updating to Wim 8.1 yet? It's a little better.

tlo07

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
I hate Windows 8. I wish I could afford to buy a Mac book right now. I can't plug any of my devices in now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
iTunes and Windows 8.1 syncing is cumbersome to say the least.
It will not sync my music automatically. And after doing it manually, it wouldn't sync all my music.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2