how to provide links to ringtones

David Solomons

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi
I am a musician and have created ringtones some of which are already on itunes and others will be there soon (most popular so far have been Tallis' "If ye love me" and the "Cats duet" attributed to Rossini :)).
My question is: is there some way to provide links to the ringtones I have uploaded/will upload so that I can inform iphone users (for instance by providing a link to a ringtone from the description on one of my videos on youtube or from my website).
I don't use a cellphone/mobile phone myself so I am unsure how this works at your end ...
BTW I am aware of the itunes linkmaker at https://linkmaker.itunes.apple.com/us/ and I use it to check the URLs for my full songs, but this doesn't appear to include ringtones.
Many thanks for any advice :)
Kind regards
David Solomons

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Please take a moment to familarize yourself with the App and Developer Forum Rules & Guidelines, specifically the iMore section. Also note: If you’d like to promote or advertise your products or services, please contact Kevin Michaluk via email at kevin at mobilenations dot com.

David Solomons

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi JustMe'D
I'm not sure I see the relevance of your "app and developer" link, since I'm not developing an app or a game and the only link that I provided in my original message refers back to the generic itunes linkmaker page (which I assume everyone knows anyway (?).
I have since discovered that URLs for my ringtones are different for different regions (eg an ipad-using friend in Costa Rica found links at his end but I found, when I tried to us them in the UK, that they only worked for Costa Rica), so I've come to the provisional conclusion that the best way to advertise ringtones generally on youtube and on my website is to suggest that iphone users make a search within itunes using my provider name plus the word "ringtone" rather than digging up web addresses for everything.
Is this correct or is there a simpler way?
At first, the question seemed so simple - to me anyway - (after all, the linkmaker provides simple links to full versions of itunes tracks and I have used that many times), but I get the impression that links to ringtones are covered in mystery.....It would be nice to know if a simpler way exists....

I shall contact Kevin in any case in case he can clarify - Thanks
Kind regards
David

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
You'd fall under developer guidelines here since you're the one making the ringtones, and also hoping to advertise their sale here. The guidelines help keep iMore from being overrun with ad posts.

Regarding the differing links, I'm guessing it depends more on each region's carrier agreements or something like that?

David Solomons

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi Massie
What a strange (and somewhat insulting) suggestion!
My itunes "artist name" has not been divulged anywhere in this thread (I took care not to divulge it, since the point is general in nature, not specific to the works of a particular artist) - so I cannot be advertising!
(In any case, this forum is clearly not for potential customers, so it would be a pointless exercise even if I were trying to advertise LOL)

That being said, your answer in para 2 suggests that my conclusion is probably correct. It seems a pity that a "one URL to suit all countries" is not likely to exist. Ah well, may as well close this thread then.
Kind regards
David

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi Massie
What a strange (and somewhat insulting) suggestion!
My itunes "artist name" has not been divulged anywhere in this thread (I took care not to divulge it, since the point is general in nature, not specific to the works of a particular artist) - so I cannot be advertising!
(In any case, this forum is clearly not for potential customers, so it would be a pointless exercise even if I were trying to advertise LOL)

That being said, your answer in para 2 suggests that my conclusion is probably correct. It seems a pity that a "one URL to suit all countries" is not likely to exist. Ah well, may as well close this thread then.
Kind regards
David

Sir, in your second post, you stated the following:

"....so I've come to the provisional conclusion that the best way to advertise ringtones generally on youtube and on my website is to suggest that iphone users make a search within itunes using my provider name plus the word "ringtone" rather than digging up web addresses for everything...."

As already been stated, this falls under the App and Developer Rules & Guidelines, and n email address to Kevin was provided for you in regard to advertising requests. Whatever avenue you decide to pursue, we wish you all the best. Take care.

David Solomons

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Yet more insults, please stop insulting me ... I fail to see how what I have written can been deemed advertising, since I use the term "provider name" (ie artist name), to show that the point that I am making is a general one and nobody can know from anything written in this thread what my artist name for ringtones is. Please stop insulting me.
I have written to Kevin in any case, as I said, but I suspect that my conclusion will be the one to use (ie a recommendation to iphone users to use the search function).

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I know I should not put my 2 cents into this but it seems here nobody is going to win. The OP did ask to close the thread which I thought was very thoughtful on his part to continue anything and he did say he wrote Kevin. Why not accomadate the gentleman and close it up and let Kevin deal with him. My apologies for butting in, Just my thought. :)

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77