Problems transferring purchases from iPad 2 to iTunes

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I want to update my iPad 2 currently running on 6.02 to 6.1 so I can jailbreak it. So i've backed it up and I am trying to do a restore to the new firmware. However, when I try to sync, iTunes tells me there are purchases that need to be transferred from my iPad.

When I try to do this, it finds 16 apps (only apps) that it cannot sync as my computer is not authorised.

The odd thing is, my computer is authorised, I even de-authorised and re-authorised it to make sure (and iTunes even confirms that the computer is already authorised too). I only have one Apple ID and i've only ever had one apple ID. No-one else uses this computer so there is not even any other Apple IDs lurking in the computer somewhere.

I've tried a number of solutions I found via Apple support website and none of them work (such as de- then re-authorising the computer), stopping and restarting Apple Mobile Device Service, removing folders etc.

My iTunes is definitely the most up-to-date as I downloaded and installed the latest version before I jailbroke my iPhone yesterday.

I know I could just repurchase the apps but some of them were quite pricey (one app in particular cost me ?40 (approx $60)) so I do not want to drop nigh on ?100 on replacing them.

I know i've missed a step here somewhere so i'm hoping that some kind person can suggest some other things I can try please.

EDIT: added a screenshot of the error box

Attachments

• Error1.jpg
    Error1.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I want to update my iPad 2 currently running on 6.02 to 6.1 so I can jailbreak it. So i've backed it up and I am trying to do a restore to the new firmware. However, when I try to sync, iTunes tells me there are purchases that need to be transferred from my iPad.

When I try to do this, it finds 16 apps (only apps) that it cannot sync as my computer is not authorised.

The odd thing is, my computer is authorised, I even de-authorised and re-authorised it to make sure (and iTunes even confirms that the computer is already authorised too). I only have one Apple ID and i've only ever had one apple ID. No-one else uses this computer so there is not even any other Apple IDs lurking in the computer somewhere.

I've tried a number of solutions I found via Apple support website and none of them work (such as de- then re-authorising the computer), stopping and restarting Apple Mobile Device Service, removing folders etc.

My iTunes is definitely the most up-to-date as I downloaded and installed the latest version before I jailbroke my iPhone yesterday.

I know I could just repurchase the apps but some of them were quite pricey (one app in particular cost me ?40 (approx $60)) so I do not want to drop nigh on ?100 on replacing them.

I know i've missed a step here somewhere so i'm hoping that some kind person can suggest some other things I can try please.

EDIT: added a screenshot of the error box

Those 16 apps, if you purchased them or downloaded them from the App Store, will be available to re-download so I wouldn't worry about the apps being transferred. Also, does iTunes not give you the option to bypass or disregard the warning?

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the replies, chaps. The apps were all purchased by me from the Apple App Store using the one and only Apple ID I have ever owned. I did purchase them on the iPad itself though, rather than on iTunes on a computer.

It's still mystifying me. i've uninstalled and reinstalled iTunes again and done reboots of both my computer and iPad too.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Tried to restore the iPad anyway and live with the consequences and I get the following error:

"The iPad could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (-1)"

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Tried to restore the iPad anyway and live with the consequences and I get the following error:

"The iPad could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (-1)"

Put the iPad in DFU mode, connect it to iTunes via your computer and then let iTunes do its thing. To put your device in DFU mode, follow the step HERE.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I ripped out iTunes completely on my computer. I uninstalled every Apple component I could find, then reinstalled everything fresh.

Following advice to put iPad into DFU mode, I tried that after reinstalling iTunes and the update worked fine this time.

I couldn't do anything about the issue that my iPad had 16 apps that just simply would not sync over. I went ahead with the upgrade hoping that once backed up and restored by way of upgrade to 6.1, I could redownload them, I find that I absolutely can't and will have to pay for them again as it appears there is no record of them on my account anywhere, which was my initial worry.

Oh well, it's only money, at least my iPad is syncing, backing up and restoring fine through iTunes now, which was my major concern.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2