Just found another lock screen security weakness

add309

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
So this is the first time I've started a topic so bear with me. I was playing with Siri on my 6+ and had the phone locked. I pulled up Siri from the phone being off by holding the home button, then asked her to search google for the cast of Guardians of the Galaxy, Safari pulled up a Google search for GOTG. I checked it out then was compelled for some reason to see if I could access my phone ,pictures, texts without "unlocking" my phone. I clicked on the option tab and hit "add to home screen", confirmed to add it and BAM! I was at my home screen looking through my photos and texting... In fact I'm typing this right now in the iMore app and still have not used my fingerprint or passcode. Give it a try and let me know what you get

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
So this is the first time I've started a topic so bear with me. I was playing with Siri on my 6+ and had the phone locked. I pulled up Siri from the phone being off by holding the home button, then asked her to search google for the cast of Guardians of the Galaxy, Safari pulled up a Google search for GOTG. I checked it out then was compelled for some reason to see if I could access my phone ,pictures, texts without "unlocking" my phone. I clicked on the option tab and hit "add to home screen", confirmed to add it and BAM! I was at my home screen looking through my photos and texting... In fact I'm typing this right now in the iMore app and still have not used my fingerprint or passcode. Give it a try and let me know what you get

Oh wow, I just tried it myself and it actually works. Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone 6

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Ummm. You said you held the home button to bring up Siri? That is the fingerprint scan. Try this same thing with the button on your ear buds to bring up Siri. Remember to avoid home button completely. Clicking anything on Siri search results prompts for passcode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OBF

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Yeah the unregistered finger will be the real test to this.

Sent from my Space Grey iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Ummm. You said you held the home button to bring up Siri? That is the fingerprint scan. Try this same thing with the button on your ear buds to bring up Siri. Remember to avoid home button completely. Clicking anything on Siri search results prompts for passcode.

This. I have asked Siri to do a few things before and it told me "You need to unlock your phone first".

add309

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
I should point out I only have my thumb as a registered Touch ID used finger. I used my unregistered index finger to bring up siri.

Last edited by a moderator:

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
The post quoted below was edited to redact incivility.

Friendly reminder folks.........
[INFO]
P.U.P.P.A.H
(Be Polite, Understanding, Patient, Professional, Attentive and Helpful)
  • Be polite. We ask that you keep your language clean and polite.
  • Be understanding and patient. You may be a power user or developer, but the person you’re talking to on the other end may be a complete newbie. Be patient, and provide all details possible if you’re posting about a problem (descriptive thread title always helps).
  • Be a pro. Don’t get into arguments over dumb things. If someone responds in a poor or rude fashion, ignore it. If you notice a pattern of rude or poor behavior from a particular member, report them to our moderators. If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all. In a nutshell, ‘think before you post’.
  • Be attentive and helpful. Answer questions in a timely manner when you can, and provide thoughts and suggestions that might lead to the solution of a members’ problem.
[/INFO]
I should point out I only have my thumb as a registered Touch ID used finger. I used my unregistered index finger to bring up siri.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
On my iP 5 with no fingerprint ID, if I ask Siri for search info, she shows the searched info on the lock screen. If I ask to go to Safari, I'm asked to enter my passcode first.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
This comes up from time to time. In the past it was a prank. I suppose it could be an honest misunderstanding.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2