Skydrive app questions

chocolateyum

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
How often and when does the skydrive app do backups? Will is still work automatically if I turn of my iPad/iPhone and turn it back on again?

Also, does it back up photos I downloaded from email attachments?

I took a video a while on the iPad. Looking at my skydrive on my laptop it still hasn't uploaded yet and it was just an extremely short test video. Wonder if I have to leave my local network or something before it uploads.

Thanks.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If you're referring to Microsoft OneDrive app (formerly known as SkyDrive) then the app doesn't backup per se, but it will instantly "upload" whatever you want to the Microsoft website. You can easily view and manipulate your data via the OneDrive app.

chocolateyum

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
Do you have to manually turn the app on to "instantly upload" or can I turn the ipad off and on and still have it upload by itself. It's looking like the latter to me which would be unfortunate.

Thanks.

AgentHeracles

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
The iPad has to be on or at-least on standby(the screen is off) because a data connection is required wether it's WiFi or Cellular.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Do you have to manually turn the app on to "instantly upload" or can I turn the ipad off and on and still have it upload by itself. It's looking like the latter to me which would be unfortunate.

Thanks.

Since you have to use the OneDrive app to initiate the upload, the iPad has to be on. Yet, after the upload begins, you can go about your business and do other things, but the iPad must still remain on.

chocolateyum

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
I'm not 100 percent sure I explained myself clearly so let me try clarifying just in case.

I understand no uploading can happen during times when my iPad is off. I turn my iPad off and then on again sometimes.

After I turn my iPad on again, do I manually have to push the onedrive app again to get the automatic upload working again? Sorry if I didn't explain clear enough. Thanks.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm not 100 percent sure I explained myself clearly so let me try clarifying just in case.

I understand no uploading can happen during times when my iPad is off. I turn my iPad off and then on again sometimes.

After I turn my iPad on again, do I manually have to push the onedrive app again to get the automatic upload working again? Sorry if I didn't explain clear enough. Thanks.
See, that's the thing. There is no auto-uploading, so to speak. If you don't have anything to upload or if you are not downloading anything from OneDrive online, the app will refresh itself to mirror the information online when you initiate the app, but other than that, it will lay dormant like any other app with the exception of the social networking apps that auto-refresh in the background.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2