Has anyone used their iPhone with the Chromecast app, does it work well?

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Google has put out their new streaming media player that has been out for a while now...This for those who don't know about it is a direct discription of it:

Chromecast is the easy way to enjoy online video and anything from the web on your TV. Plug it into any HDTV and control it with your existing smartphone, tablet, or laptop. Send your favorites from Netflix, YouTube, Hulu Plus, Pandora, Google Play Movies & TV, Google Play Music, and Chrome to your TV with the press of a button. No more huddling around small screens and tiny speakers. Chromecast automatically updates to work with a growing number of apps.

Has anyone used it yet with your iPhone and if yes what were the results? Thank you.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I haven't used Chromecast and I don't foresee using it in the near future. The Apple TV is sufficient for my needs at this time. Still, I see the Chromecast thingy everywhere.

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
Yea, I'm seeing it advertised a lot, one ad had it listed for $ 35. Makes me wonder if it's actually any good.

Derrick4Real

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
i haven't used it. I'm curious. Buy that device doesn't do what i need. I don't need to play content off my phone. I have roughly 2 tbs of video and audio on an external hard drive and I use my wdtv live to go from drive/computer to my flat screen tv. I don't do netflix or that stuff at the moment. So i'm waiting for Google to release a true wdtv/appletv/roku box competitor. Not just some dongle that doesn't play local files. That said it's google and they often disappoint and/or don't fully commit to a product so i'm not remotely holding my breath and honestly, i'm really waiting for 2014 when i hope western digital releases a new media streamer.

Danny8200

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Care to go into more detail about your likes and dislikes about it?

For example, I can start casting a movie on Netflix to my TV but if my phone or tablet (from where I'm casting from) goes to sleep, when I wake up my device the Netflix app will lose connection with the Chromecast dongle so I am unable to pause, rewind, or switch movies. When I try I get an error message saying the selected device is no longer on the same network. It's like my iDevice is looking for the Chromecast dongle but can't find it. This happens after streaming starts and my iDevice auto locks, then unlocks again. This started as soon as the latest update to the Netflix app was issued and it seems to be widespread. It also happens with Pandora Radio as well. Picture quality looks really good on my old HDTV. Not sure if it's user error on my part, or just buggy iOS apps, but it's kind of defeating the purpose since I bought this just for Netflix which is what I need.

sanibel

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I have had similar issues. Luckily Chromecast is pretty cheap...
For example, I can start casting a movie on Netflix to my TV but if my phone or tablet (from where I'm casting from) goes to sleep, when I wake up my device the Netflix app will lose connection with the Chromecast dongle so I am unable to pause, rewind, or switch movies. When I try I get an error message saying the selected device is no longer on the same network. It's like my iDevice is looking for the Chromecast dongle but can't find it. This happens after streaming starts and my iDevice auto locks, then unlocks again. This started as soon as the latest update to the Netflix app was issued and it seems to be widespread. It also happens with Pandora Radio as well. Picture quality looks really good on my old HDTV. Not sure if it's user error on my part, or just buggy iOS apps, but it's kind of defeating the purpose since I bought this just for Netflix which is what I need.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2