Around me app not being accurate?

Infiniti7

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
So I always use the around me app and it is very accurate and reliable but I went on vacation out of the state and I used the app to find some local stores like Cvs and walgreens and it was saying everything was 30 plus miles away and I passed a Walgreens and Cvs in the area and it was not showing up on around me. Why is that? Why does it say sometimes everything is farther away than it is?

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
maybe some of those stores are so new that they are not "in the system" yet.. whatever the system is. not sure how businesses get geo-referenced to show up on certain programs or apps, like Poynt or other apps.

Did your Maps show you in the right place?

Infiniti7

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Around me has always worked for me and does. It's just I'm up in the mountains in new Hampshire and its saying most local stores are 20-30 plus miles away and I've passed a Walgreens that I was looking for and it was not showing up. But restaurants do. I'm just confused. Any thoughts?

spinecho

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I am on vacation in Baltimore and I am having the same problem. Around me is sending me in the opposite direction of where the store I was looking for.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
You mention being in the mountains... if you're in a valley when seeing the issue - it could be GPS receiver related - in that in mountains, and valleys - GPS signals are reflected, reducing accuracy... and also contributing may be a cell site providing inaccurate "Assisted GPS" data - and the phone can't resolve where it is due to that bad data, and unable to get a decent GPS satellite fix. Either one, if not both of those factors can contribute to the issues you're seeing.

Infiniti7

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
It's not the service. It's just lack on information. Its not pointing me in the right direction. But google maps on my phone does

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Apps can vary - some will only rely on 'assisted gps' data and never poll the device GPS - if you're getting bad 'A-GPS' data, the phone doesn't know where it is, and the app can't show you.

Infiniti7

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
It's just so confusing up here because it recognizes some restaurants/locations but the ones that you think it would for sure Walgreens cvs Walmart gas stations ect it says the closest ones are 40 plus miles away and I just passed a Walgreens!!! Haha anybody have an ideas?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2