Ping! alternative?

matthirst

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
I?m in the UK and am limited to 500 texts a month. This just isn?t enough for me but thankfully my partner (who I text the most) has just bought an iphone today, I thought my troubles were answered with the Ping! application (to be essentially able to text for free). However, this has been ruined by the fact my work has high wifi security, which after testing it out, showed that it only works if I turn off wifi and go over 3G. I use the wifi a lot though so wouldn?t want to keep turning it on and off again just for that.

So, can anyone suggest ways they would go about this, essentially some form push messaging over wifi/3G? The only 2 things I came up with were to create a new gmail (which I would rather not do as I strictly only use my iphone mail for my works email) or just use facebook (however I?ve turned notifications off for that as it became quite annoying with the amount of other things I get notified on!). There must be some other similar ways of going about it without the high wifi security that Ping! doesn?t like being an issue?

Last edited:

matthirst

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
Is it not very likely that whatsapp works in a similar way to Ping! though? Meaning the wifi security troubles would still be an issue? Since whatsapp is a paid app, I wouldn't want to buy it without knowing it'll work.