Call ends randomly while away from call screen?

Eclipse2K

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site
Greetings iMore! I used to spend a lot of time over at Android Central and was an Ambassador over there for a short period of time so I am really accustomed and partial to the Mobile Nations websites. :) I have since recently left Android due to my personal wants in a phone and currently have an iPhone 6s on Verizon. However, there is one issue I have noticed and so has my friend when he has Verizon and now T-Mobile. If I move to the home screen or begin using an application, there are random instances where the call drops. It does not make a noise nor give any notification of ending the call. This has happened on multiple, but not all occasions. Does anyone have a solution or reason as to why this happens?

Edit: Or maybe, just maybe, I am ending the call by unwittingly pressing the power button. Wouldn't that be a kicker? But I don't think that's the case because my call ends without notice but the power button brings me to the call screen before disconnecting.

Last edited:

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Hi, congrats on your iPhone.

First of all, pressing the power button will always end a call, whether you're in the call screen or in the home screen.
Pressing the home button will bring you to the home screen without ending the call.

Enjoy using your iPhone 6s.

Eclipse2K

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site
Hi, congrats on your iPhone.

First of all, pressing the power button will always end a call, whether you're in the call screen or in the home screen.
Pressing the home button will bring you to the home screen without ending the call.

Enjoy using your iPhone 6s.

Correct, but I am positive the call is randomly ending without notice while I'm on the home screen or isn't a different application. If I were to hit the power button it would bring me to the call screen and say call ended. In my case, the green bar up top disappears and no other warning. I stay on the application or home screen. This never happened with Android so I'm a bit confused as to what causes this.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Just don't press the button on the side, but press the home button.

f8e6aad23c552135339d990f0cb89f33.png

Eclipse2K

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site
Just don't press the button on the side, but press the home button.

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160717/f8e6aad23c552135339d990f0cb89f33.png

Thank you, but I know that. :p

Hope that didn't sound rude. Lol, it's difficult at times to sound nice online.

Anyways, so the call randomly drops without any button being pressed. It happens to my friend and I both. Not sure why, but it appears it's not a wide known issue. I had it happen again today and was very careful not to press the button.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
You're on Verizon? Are you using VoLTE by any chance? What happens if you turn off VoLTE and use just CDMA calling?

I had bad experiences the few times I tried VoLTE on Verizon but CDMA calling has been great.

Btw, I remember you from the Droid Maxx forum on AC...

Eclipse2K

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site
You're on Verizon? Are you using VoLTE by any chance? What happens if you turn off VoLTE and use just CDMA calling?

I had bad experiences the few times I tried VoLTE on Verizon but CDMA calling has been great.

Btw, I remember you from the Droid Maxx forum on AC...

I have not tried using it without VoLTE but I didn't have any issues with the service with any Android device. Besides, I am not sure why VoLTE would cause an issue only while away from the call screen. I guess anything is possible though.

Also, I remember you too. My last phone was a Nexus 6P but even Nexus disappointed me in several ways. That's why I ditched Android in favor of an iPhone.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
My apologies if I understood your question wrong. Had the longest weekend ever without sleep.

If this keeps happening, make sure to take out your SIM card, wipe it clean on your pants or shirt and put it back in.

Eclipse2K

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site
My apologies if I understood your question wrong. Had the longest weekend ever without sleep.

If this keeps happening, make sure to take out your SIM card, wipe it clean on your pants or shirt and put it back in.

All good. Happens to the best of us. Which isn't me, I am terrible. :p

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Just to rule it out, I'd turn off VoLTE for a day or two and see if that changes anything.

I'm not sure that it's navigating away from the call screen, but that VoLTE itself is so fragile on Verizon, at least for me on the iPhone. Maybe it's just an iPhone implementation issue? I do have to admit that the times I had trouble with VoLTE were when I was away from home, but switching it off made all the difference. I rarely need simultaneous voice and data, and when I do, it's only when I'm navigating and probably on the highway (and probably likely to keep calls brief.)

On the other hand, wifi calling on Verizon has been great for me so far.