Standby time increasing during usage

iwicked

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi folks. Plagued by battery troubles with my 5S I decided to ditch it and buy an iPhone 6. I set it up today from my iTunes backup and I notice same horrendous battery life as my iPhone 5S! Whats worse, my usage time and standby time is the same; usage time increases even when I put the phone on standby and standby time increases when I am using the phone!

Here's a screenshot of my usage today, mind you, its a brand new phone and this is the first day of usage. Suggestions please! I have NOT been using it for 5 hours - it was on standby most of the time.

IMG_3395.PNG

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Give it a day or two to settle down and see if it normalizes... if it doesn't, consider restoring the iOS via connecting to iTunes.

IAmSixNine

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Its entirely possible you had an app that was misbehaving and causing the CPU to run when it wasn't needed, thus having additional battery drain. By restoring from iTunes you have only brought the problem with you to the new phone.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Just give it a day or so to work itself in. Also, if you restored from a backup, I would recommend resetting and restoring as a new iPhone.

iwicked

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
I bring good news! It appears I may have been panicking for nothing. I took a iTunes backup and restored it from there last night. I left it on last night and I lost 7% charge at night over 6 hours. iCloud backup was running in the background for an hour between this time. I reckon this is normal battery usage?

This morning after charging it to 100% I did the battery usage test. I noted down the usage and standby times and checked after 5/10 minutes. It seems normal now - usage time doesn't increase with standby time anymore. :)

One question though, I noticed my standby time going up when I use the phone along with usage time; is this normal? I mean, should standby time increase when I am using the phone and not only when its left unused? I will see what kind of usage time I get today and update you folks. Thanks.

Last edited:

iwicked

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Battery life seems to have returned to normal. I am quite happy with what I am getting. Here's a screenshot of today's usage. Is it similar to what you guys are getting? Battery 6.PNG

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Whats worse, my usage time and standby time is the same; usage time increases even when I put the phone on standby and standby time increases when I am using the phone!

To see the battery usage, go to Settings > General > Usage > Battery Usage. Once the charge hits 92-93%, the Standby and the Usage stats in the TIME SINCE LAST FULL CHARGE are reset. The BATTERY USAGE (for specific apps) at the bottom part of that screen are not reset. I am not aware of any way to reset them.

BTW, the Standby and Usage stats also get reset following an iOS crash or when you do a hard reset of the device.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1805

Usage: Amount of time iPhone has been awake and in use since the last full charge. The phone is awake when you’re on a call, using email, listening to music, browsing the web, or sending and receiving text messages, or during certain background tasks such as auto-checking email.

Standby: Amount of time iPhone has been powered on since its last full charge, including the time the phone has been asleep.