Double contact text

Designed4Him

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
Today I was texting my sister through iMesasage and all of a sudden a new message from her came through in a whole new thread but I only have her listed in the phone once. ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1421109501.039860.jpgImageUploadedByiMore Forums1421109539.689243.jpg

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I've had a similar situation happen with iMessage where a new iMessage will start from an incoming text...the only time I've ever experienced it is when my wife is in a place where reception is bad and she sends a message from there. My theory is that the reception isn't quite bad enough to revert to SMS, but for some reason the sending of the message meets an issue where data gets corrupted during the sending process and it some how forgets there was already a thread started with that person. I've also noticed that each time it happens, the iMessage comes from a different "source" than her cell phone number (IE: email address).

My guess is your sister sent an Message in a sketchy reception area or you were in one when she sent her message to you.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
If your on a thread with someone, then you go to photos, for example, and send a photo to that person from the share options in photos, it will create a second thread on that person's messages app. Like from here:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421117610.044264.jpg
But this is not the only place.

There's also been issues where iMessages have been sending from email address rather than number. That creates a new thread as well.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

Designed4Him

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
How do I find out if she sent the messages from a different source? Is there any way. If I delete the new one and this still happens what to do then?

I didn't send any pics from the share her first message in the new one was a continuance of our convo.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
See above comment. This has happened to me too. I just delete the new one.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

This doesn't always fix the problem...sometimes it still picks and chooses which thread it wants to continue, and I've had it where it picks the NEW thread instead of the old, and the old never updates again.

Last edited:

robbrick

Dec 12, 2003
www.dimensiondvd.com
I've only ever experienced this when the person sending the iMessage changes their outgoing 'called ID' settings to their email address from their phone number. If you click details, then the 'i' button, you can see in blue which number or email address this person sent their message from.