Really Bizare Iphone Error -- Any Ideas?

Alex Gosser

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
This morning something really odd happened to my iPhone. I unplugged it at around 6:00 AM. When I got to work, I looked at my phone and noticed it read 94% battery life. I thought this was odd especially given the fact that I hadn't used it in addition to having it plugged in to my car during the drive.

I went to the battery usage and it said something even stranger... 0 min. of usage and 0 min. of standby since the last time the phone was fully charged. When I got into my work, I checked the phone about 8 min later and things got even stranger... battery life jumped back up to 98% and the phone battery usage changed to 8 min.

Any idea what could be causing this? It was roughly 30* out so perhaps the cold was messing with it... but still I've never had this happen before.

Some further information: my phone currently reads 10 min. of use, 1 hour and 32 minutes of standby. Which is odd given the fact that I actually use my phone (streaming music) on the drive to work which is roughly 20 min. Additionally it was not "fully" charged during that drive (though it was plugged in)

Last edited:

area52

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Don't let it run down to 0 though, that'll just degrade your battery. If you turn off the phone and back on again doesn't that reset it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

area52

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Letting run down to 0% shortens the lifespan of the battery.
This is from an article on gizmodo I think:

And when lithium-ion batteries get too low?like, literally zero percent?they get seriously unstable, and dangerous to charge. To prevent explosion-type disasters when you go to charge one that's been sitting around for a month or two, lithium-ion batteries have built-in self-destruct circuits that will disable (read: destroy) the battery for good, if it reaches rock bottom. And sure, that'll save you from a face full of battery-acid, but it'll also leave you short one battery.

Can't post the link but if you google "let iPhone battery die" there's a bunch on it

BParker4381

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Letting run down to 0% shortens the lifespan of the battery.
This is from an article on gizmodo I think:

And when lithium-ion batteries get too low—like, literally zero percent—they get seriously unstable, and dangerous to charge. To prevent explosion-type disasters when you go to charge one that's been sitting around for a month or two, lithium-ion batteries have built-in self-destruct circuits that will disable (read: destroy) the battery for good, if it reaches rock bottom. And sure, that'll save you from a face full of battery-acid, but it'll also leave you short one battery.

Can't post the link but if you google "let iPhone battery die" there's a bunch on it

Yeah, I have always read that you don't want to discharge a battery all the way down more than once every couple of months even though the iPhone should shut down before any cell reversal happens.

Me? If it runs down it runs down. I have never had any issues with a battery in a phone and it is constantly shutting down due to being dead. Just because it is not recommended or it could happens doesn't mean it will.

And just like area52 said, just type it in Google and you will be reading for hours. LoL

mamutarka

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I never obey any rules regarding battery, I charge it sometimes when on 50%, sometimes 20% but sometimes from 0. Never had any issues and battery life disadvantages. Maybe I am lucky but for me it's like that.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2