5s... Cant restore phone error 40....any idea ?

DavidinCT

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Anyone help here ?

I have a Verizon 5s... The phone wont turn on, this started a while ago out of the blue. If I connect to the PC (windows 10), iTunes will open up and say "iTunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode You mist restore this iPhone before it can be used...blah, blah"

At this point, the Serial Number is N/A, after clicking on "restore" it goes through the motions. The screen lights up the phone, shows the Apple logo, then it comes out at the apple logo with the bar like it's installing and update....

RIGHT then I get an error from iTunes "The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (40)"

After this, nothing, the phone is sitting with the Apple logo and the bar but, nothing happens. After hitting power and the main button and holding them. It goes back to going off.

The only time I see something on the display is when it's trying to restore it and fails...

Is this phone SOL or is it possible to recover this phone that is out of warranty... or should I dump it for parts ?

EDIT: Note. Factory image, Not Jail broken, and was working fine then all of a sudden.

Last edited:

Jami7Plus

Sep 21, 2016
Visit site
Have you been dropping the iPhone or maybe using it while charging cause it said in error 40 that it is a hardware issue. But if you don't like giving up on it try restoring it with a different sync cable or another computer. OR just dump it for parts and buy a new one

DavidinCT

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Have you been dropping the iPhone or maybe using it while charging cause it said in error 40 that it is a hardware issue. But if you don't like giving up on it try restoring it with a different sync cable or another computer. OR just dump it for parts and buy a new one

No dropping, it's sitting solid on a desk while running this and history, don't think it was ever dropped. I tried 2-3 cables....

Is this phone SOL ?

What is a non working 5s worth anyway ?

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
No dropping, it's sitting solid on a desk while running this and history, don't think it was ever dropped. I tried 2-3 cables....

Is this phone SOL ?

What is a non working 5s worth anyway ?

I would take it in to your nearest Apple store for them to check it out.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Anyone help here ?

I have a Verizon 5s... The phone wont turn on, this started a while ago out of the blue. If I connect to the PC (windows 10), iTunes will open up and say "iTunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode You mist restore this iPhone before it can be used...blah, blah"

At this point, the Serial Number is N/A, after clicking on "restore" it goes through the motions. The screen lights up the phone, shows the Apple logo, then it comes out at the apple logo with the bar like it's installing and update....

RIGHT then I get an error from iTunes "The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (40)"

After this, nothing, the phone is sitting with the Apple logo and the bar but, nothing happens. After hitting power and the main button and holding them. It goes back to going off.

The only time I see something on the display is when it's trying to restore it and fails...

Is this phone SOL or is it possible to recover this phone that is out of warranty... or should I dump it for parts ?

EDIT: Note. Factory image, Not Jail broken, and was working fine then all of a sudden.

This may help:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204770#hardware

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2