Living with an iPhone 5s or any iOS device ONLY

Edmilan

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
Anybody here living with only their iPhone 5s/any ios device WITHOUT any mac or PC? I'm presently toting a 5 and will be getting the 5S this november. I have a macbook air 2012 base model and i noticed that i only used the Mac to sync movies, media and apps and that's it. Since that's the only thing i use it for and since i use my phone when creating documents in keynote ios and pages ios (already got used to it and very skilled with it), plus I also have iTunes match going, I was wondering if i can sell it and just live with the iOS device, and use an external wifi hdd like the Seagate satellite for my media? Is it possible to live with JUST an iOS device with no PC or Mac?

Edmilan

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
I could add media to that using the desktop at hime, at work, or download stuff using the Downloads Lite app and tranfer the file using the seagate app. I'm always away from home due to work and only go home once a week. And i really only rarely use the mac and i'm having second thoughts keeping it since it never leaves my bag unless i have to sync this app or that app

Edit: *Seagate wireless plus, not satellite lol. My bad

Last edited:

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Anybody here living with only their iPhone 5s/any ios device WITHOUT any mac or PC? Is it possible to live with JUST an iOS device with no PC or Mac?

I could add media to that using the desktop at hime, at work, or download stuff using the Downloads Lite app and tranfer the file using the seagate app.

Ok, so, in essence you actually 'would not' be living with only an iphone 5S since you have a desktop at home? Lol you've lost me.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I could add media to that using the desktop at hime, at work, or download stuff using the Downloads Lite app and tranfer the file using the seagate app. I'm always away from home due to work and only go home once a week. And i really only rarely use the mac and i'm having second thoughts keeping it since it never leaves my bag unless i have to sync this app or that app

Edit: *Seagate wireless plus, not satellite lol. My bad

This looks like something I could use. I noticed in the features it mentions using airplay from your iPad to Apple TV. I assume you can do this with iPhone also?

Edmilan

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
Well since i'm always away from home and 90% of the time away from that desktop, i counted it as no desktop access lol. Like just sync once a week on the desktop and that's it. I already did that for 2 months, august and september when the macbook was sent for repairs (yep, toshiba ssd with sandforce), synced just once in 2-3weeks and i kinda survived. Plus, i still didn't have and don't have that wifi external ssd...yet

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Well since i'm always away from home and 90% of the time away from that desktop, i counted it as no desktop access lol. Like just sync once a week on the desktop and that's it. I already did that for 2 months, august and september when the macbook was sent for repairs (yep, toshiba ssd with sandforce), synced just once in 2-3weeks and i kinda survived. Plus, i still didn't have and don't have that wifi external ssd...yet

If you're syncing once a week, you're not living with "only" the iOS device. I sync less than that and I have several macs in my house.

My sister is actually living with an iPhone 5 with no computer at all...she had a laptop at one time, but sold it for whatever reason and never bought another one (she also has a galaxy tab, but it has no association with the iPhone itself for any reason). She seems to function fine, and maintains her device with the latest updates and what not. She also has a ton of apps as well and bought an larger iCloud storage account because of her necessity to keep a large amount of things from the iPhone.

Edmilan

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
Actually, that's my plan. To eventually live without syncing to a Mac or PC, and keeping all my stuff in the wireless HDD. So a bigger iCloud storage too i guess, maybe that 15gb/year plan just to keep all my documents. I also tried to list down the things i do on the mac, and it's, well only syncing and backing up which i can do with iCloud

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Actually, that's my plan. To eventually live without syncing to a Mac or PC, and keeping all my stuff in the wireless HDD. So a bigger iCloud storage too i guess, maybe that 15gb/year plan just to keep all my documents. I also tried to list down the things i do on the mac, and it's, well only syncing and backing up which i can do with iCloud

I think you'd function just fine if that is all you're using your computer for...it's certainly possible, and thankfully iCloud makes backups and storage issues a lot easier.

bujin

May 15, 2009
Visit site
I actually have been living with my iPhone (currently 5S), an iPad mini, and an Apple TV, but without a desktop/laptop, for about a year now. It's been pretty seamless, and I've only had to jump on my wife's laptop once or twice for work-related things.

I've found no real need to sync with a computer, and store everything on Dropbox and iCloud.

Edmilan

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
I actually have been living with my iPhone (currently 5S), an iPad mini, and an Apple TV, but without a desktop/laptop, for about a year now. It's been pretty seamless, and I've only had to jump on my wife's laptop once or twice for work-related things.

I've found no real need to sync with a computer, and store everything on Dropbox and iCloud.

So how did you do that? I mean how do you add stuff to your ios devices? Did you also use a wifi external hdd or something?

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Anybody here living with only their iPhone 5s/any ios device WITHOUT any mac or PC? I'm presently toting a 5 and will be getting the 5S this november. I have a macbook air 2012 base model and i noticed that i only used the Mac to sync movies, media and apps and that's it. Since that's the only thing i use it for and since i use my phone when creating documents in keynote ios and pages ios (already got used to it and very skilled with it), plus I also have iTunes match going, I was wondering if i can sell it and just live with the iOS device, and use an external wifi hdd like the Seagate satellite for my media? Is it possible to live with JUST an iOS device with no PC or Mac?

I haven't had a computer at home in years. I spend all day on one at work. The last thing I want to do when I get home is spend time on one at home.

I update using wifi at work and back up a few times a month using my sister's laptop.

I manage just fine.

bujin

May 15, 2009
Visit site
So how did you do that? I mean how do you add stuff to your ios devices? Did you also use a wifi external hdd or something?

No, I mainly use Dropbox for files, and stream my media (Netflix, Hulu, iTunes Match, iTunes Radio). I can't really think of anything I need to add that can't be accessed via Dropbox.

If I have word/excel files on Dropbox, I edit them using iWorks apps and then save them back to Dropbox.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
While I do find myself using my MacBook less, don't see giving up the larger screen and the flexibility that an OS X system provides.

As others have noted, what if your situation changes? As an example. I was recently laid off and even though I was able to use my work system for the remaining time until my employment ended; I spent plenty of time on my MacBook polishing the resume, and researching opportunities at home in the evenings and on weekends. Soon as I saw a fit, an updated resume and cover letter was ready in minutes and in the hiring company systems. Since I have an external monitor, was able to be even more efficient by using one screen for editing my resume or the job application tracker I created. The other screen was for the hiring company web site. Super easy to copy paste, etc. Understand that LinkedIn app now has an in-app apply for job feature. That's great, but not all jobs are on LinkedIn, nor does your profile fully tell your story.

Sorry to be so long winded, but want to share a real practical reason for why I think you should consider keeping the Air.

Edmilan

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
I can always use the desktop at home though. Only thing i'm thinking about was the syncing of media. But i think i can always use vlc for ios to put stuff on the phone instead of using itunes

Rocket_Girl

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I have been doing this with iPhone and iPad since iPad limited Edition (the short-lived first iPad 3). Now have 5s and original iPad mini, plus extra iCloud storage. I use the mini like a laptop, with clamshell keyboard - and can get by with that for all but the heavy-duty writing I do in the office anyway. Have not had a laptop or PC at home for years (someone else said this: after using one all day at work, it is liberating to not have one at home)!

I have used PC (at work) for updates when OTA is too slow, but otherwise back up to/restore from iCloud. This adds universal access to my stuff, should a device crap out (or be stolen... Or dropped) while traveling. The only hassle at home is printing- and I could fix that with an AirPrint printer but have chosen to hold off so far.

jarofclay73

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
I have a PC and a MacBook Air but, for all intents and purposes, I don't sync with them at all. They have other purposes. I have iTunes Match and I got the 20GB upgrade for iCloud since I have a 64GB iPhone 5 and a 64GB iPad 3 (Soon to be 128GB iPad Air).

I do use my PC to get videos to my Seagate Satellite for the occasional road trip/vacation.

All of my backups are in the iCloud. Only now am I running into space problems in the iCloud. I went into settings to make sure it is backing up only what I need and I'm good for now.

Edmilan

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
Just got a Buffalo mini air station since the store near me ran out of stock of the seagate wireless hdds. Also talked my sister into buying the Air since she's been eyeing it since it got it last year

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site

I tried and it did not work out. I tested this last term by starting the first 3 weeks with only my iPad 4 and my iPhone 5. It started off okay but then quickly because a PITA. 3 weeks later I pulled my Macbook Pro out. I was contemplating selling it and only running iOS devices but for a full time student it was just not practical.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77