Phone always thinks I have headphones in

SaMaster14

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if this is a hardware issue or a software issue, so I wasn't sure whether to put this in the iOS8 section or here... but regardless since last night/this morning my phone always thinks I have headphones in (meaning the speakers produce no sound, so I can't make calls, listen to music, etc without actually putting in headphones). I'm running iOS beta 5. I have tried rebooting the device (holding down the power and home buttons), I've tried shutting the phone off and turning it on again and also putting in headphones and taking them out... no luck.

Any advice guys?? Need to upgrade to the 6 soon.....

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if this is a hardware issue or a software issue, so I wasn't sure whether to put this in the iOS8 section or here... but regardless since last night/this morning my phone always thinks I have headphones in (meaning the speakers produce no sound, so I can't make calls, listen to music, etc without actually putting in headphones). I'm running iOS beta 5. I have tried rebooting the device (holding down the power and home buttons), I've tried shutting the phone off and turning it on again and also putting in headphones and taking them out... no luck.

Any advice guys?? Need to upgrade to the 6 soon.....

A visit to Apple? It’s still gotta be under warranty.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
It seems you tried most of the suggestions I would offer the only think you haven't tried is using a Q-tip with some alcohol and clean out the head phone jack

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Cases sometimes wreak havoc with sounds. I kept this in my notes. Don't recall where I found it.
Remove any case or enclosure the iPhone may be in
Use compressed air (or your mouth) to blow directly into the headphone jack, this may help to dislodge dust or pocket lint stuck in the port
Get a Q-Tip or toothpick and swab around inside the port to dislodge any remaining particles

Connect the set of headphones, make sure there is a complete connection and be sure that audio transmits through them, then firmly pull out the headphones ? audio should work as usual
Connect & disconnect the headphones a few more times if nothing happens the first time. It seems that plugging/Unplugging the headset several times (8) seems to work.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

Paul Ellis1

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
I experienced this a few times, it's a tiny bit of moisture in the headphone jack. Is always dried out in 24-48 hours for me and worked fine after. In the meantime, just stick to using the headphones

Posted via iMore App

SaMaster14

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't use cases on my phone, I just have a skin (but nothing covering the bottom).

It seems to have fixed itself! Must have just been that moisture. Lets hope it stays ok!

Thanks for the replies guys

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77