iPhone 5 VS Miter Saw

jessnkorey

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Was working in the woodshop on Monday. I set my phone down near the miter saw. I didn't even see it when I was using the saw. I must have bumped it or something and it got into the blade. It was a stupid mistake on my part and one that I will not be repeating anytime soon. I took it to the apple store just to see what they would do. I had people coming out of the back room wanting to take a peek at the phone that went through the saw. I will be building a frame and mounting it in the shop as a reminder to me to watch my phone when entering. The case (also pictured) didn't help a bit. :)

Attachments

• IMG_3588.jpg
    IMG_3588.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 92
  • IMG_3590.jpg
    IMG_3590.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 87

jessnkorey

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
When it happened, I was thinking about that Will It Blend guy. It also smelled really bad and got hot. We put it on ice so we could take it to the apple store. I didn't want it to catch fire while driving.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
That's awful and hilarious at the same time! I bet there are some on here who would complain about how it held up in that scenario...too fragile! ;)

jessnkorey

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Actually, I was fairly impressed with how it held up. The majority of it stayed in one piece. I'm not sure if my hand would have been so lucky. When I went to the Apple Store, I knew that I needed to get out my wallet, but was hoping for some sort of a deal since I have purchased 13 Apple products in the past 4 years. However, no such love for me. But it doesn't hurt to ask. I had to pay full price to replace it. But it doesn't hurt to ask. One thing that I can say is that the new phone is not going into the woodshop again. :)

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
So that case was on it when it hit the blade? I'm surprised it doesn't look more shredded...maybe you can talk to Speck about cutting an endorsement deal!
(Of course, you might not want to show them the photo of the phone.)

jessnkorey

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Well the good news is that the case wasn't a very expensive one. I think I paid $3 or $4 for it on sale at Target. There are scratches on the back of it and a big gouge where the blade cut the rim. I should clean it up and put it on my new phone as a reminder of my stupidity. :)

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
WOW. That is....wow. Better the phone than your hand but Ill be honest, it doesn't look anything like I guess i would've expected!

anon(73368)

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
Actually, I was fairly impressed with how it held up. The majority of it stayed in one piece. I'm not sure if my hand would have been so lucky. When I went to the Apple Store, I knew that I needed to get out my wallet, but was hoping for some sort of a deal since I have purchased 13 Apple products in the past 4 years. However, no such love for me. But it doesn't hurt to ask. I had to pay full price to replace it. But it doesn't hurt to ask. One thing that I can say is that the new phone is not going into the woodshop again. :)

You get AC+ on the new one? It's a must!

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Ha... If I was the Apple employee you talked to I would have given you a new one since it was probably a story they never heard. :)

jessnkorey

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I wasn't expecting a new phone. I would have liked a small discount from the price of a new phone. They said that they can't make a case to discount a replacement phone when the phone that being given to them is in more then three pieces. They mentioned that there were no salvageable parts. I told him (as a joke) that the lighting connector is good.

gixxer07600

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
What?! The iPhone doesn't survive saws blenders or bullets?! That's it! I need a new phone I want a refund! Damn you apple for not making a phone that can with stand a 50 caliber bullet!

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Let me tell ya something I bought my wife one of those Blendtec Blenders you see on the "Will it blend" infomercials and I can attest to the sheer power of this thing. It makes quick work of anything she puts into it, and while they are definitely not cheap blenders either in price or performance she loves hers and it has outlasted every other blender she has owned, with most getting chucked right into the trash for failing to blend simple to tough stuff. Blendtec is worth it, but I won't stick my smartphone or any of value into it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2