Spend for 1/2 Subsidy vs iPhone 5s?

anon(279851)

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Spend for 1/2 Subsidy vs iPhone 5S?

** For those who are able to receive an early iPhone upgrade- will you spend for a half subsidy on an iPhone 5 or wait for what I guess will be iPhone 5S (I'm guessing that's what it will be) for next year? I'm torn but hate spending that extra $250. Thoughts?:confused:

rooktdphi

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
my days of going with the subsidized upgrades may be over; i plan on buying phones outright from now on in order to keep my unlimited data through Verizon.

Doesn't exactly answer your query, but that's the situation that I find myself in

E Pow

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
I'll be spending the extra $250, unless I use my wifes upgrade but she wants the iPhone 5 too. So more than likely I'll be spending the extra $250.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
my days of going with the subsidized upgrades may be over; i plan on buying phones outright from now on in order to keep my unlimited data through Verizon.

Doesn't exactly answer your query, but that's the situation that I find myself in

I am doing the same thing. I think it all depends on if you have the $$ to pay full price to get a discounted price next year( that is in regards to the OP's question). My contract is up in June so when that happens I will be exploring other options for carriers maybe switch to at&t since at least with them you dont have to get the share plans as they kept their other old plans also.

kfreeman_23

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site

you and me both brother. it sucks that they want us to give unlimited data up! its faster than wifi. I think they should do the At&t thing and make upgrade at the end of our contract rather then an early upgrade. Long term greed! i feel like complaining to the FCC!!

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
What do you mean by extra $250? Won't the phone be somewhere around $750 without a contract?

He's describing the extra cost for an "early upgrade", which is the $199 contract price plus a $250 premium (and there's still a $30 service fee if i recall correctly).

The full price of the iPhone without contract should still start at $650.

kooch0489

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
He's describing the extra cost for an "early upgrade", which is the $199 contract price plus a $250 premium (and there's still a $30 service fee if i recall correctly).

The full price of the iPhone without contract should still start at $650.

Sorry if I'm reading this wrong, but you're saying you can pay the contract price, plus the $250 and the service fee, and get a new phone?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Sorry if I'm reading this wrong, but you're saying you can pay the contract price, plus the $250 and the service fee, and get a new phone?

Yes, if you are eligible for an "early upgrade" from your carrier (eligibility is not set in stone amongst carriers so there's no way to guarantee one carriers rules will match another's).

Gary86

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
Just want to make sure I have this right...I got the following text. So I will be paying $299 (32GB) + $250 for fee for the new iPhone later this month?

cableguy619

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Just want to make sure I have this right...I got the following text. So I will be paying $299 (32GB) + $250 for fee for the new iPhone later this month?

yes unless you pay the full pricing. They are having the cosumer eat more of the cost of the phone in this case so less of it is on the company.

rickdo

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
** For those who are able to receive an early iPhone upgrade- will you spend for a half subsidy on an iPhone 5 or wait for what I guess will be iPhone 5S (I'm guessing that's what it will be) for next year? I'm torn but hate spending that extra $250. Thoughts?:confused:
Today I went to AT&T to verify upgrade possibilities since I have 4 numbers with them. To clarify this is how will go guys,
If you are out of contract, pay $199+$36 activation charge for the 16 gb, sign for 2 more years and go to show off.
Then, even if you have more than a year of contract, you still are eligible to upgrade, so you pay $199+$36 activ. + $250 for AT&T's greed.

Chex313

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
This situation doesn't apply to me...But I still have to buy one. Just sold a 32GB i4 for $290($300 but I shipped) I have another 16GB i4 to sell and I had previously sold a 3GS. So those with a 4S it will compensate nicely for the added upgrade price.

You gotta love the resale value of iphone's!

jakeless.123

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I went into the AT&T store and they informed me that if you qualify for an early (partial) upgrade, it will be $250 plus the cost of the phone. If you are 20 months into your contract, you qualify for a full upgrade and will not have to pay the $250 fee.

iSRS

iOS & macOS Champion, Trusted Member
Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site

Not sure if you have a non data line on your account (that is upgrade eligible), but if you do? You can buy the new iPhone on that line, pay the $30 to activate it, go online and switch it to your line. You keep unlimited data, and then when you reactivate the basic phone you can take the data off that line.

Had this proactively told to me by a Verizon rep, a co-worker was also told by a rep at Costco, and I called Verizon and asked, and they confirmed. YMMV.

iTwe4k

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
I have an upgrade due so I won't have to pay.
If I didn't have an upgrade, I would pay whatever for the new iPhone cause id want to use the new apps on the extra screen estate.
_____________________ @iTwe4k
iPod nano (watch)
2 iPod touch 16g/32g - black/white
iP 3Gs 32g - white
iP 4 32g - red
New iPad 64g 4G - white
MacBook Air

wdfly

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site

I am doing the same thing, unlimited data is worth more to me than a discount.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Today I went to AT&T to verify upgrade possibilities since I have 4 numbers with them. To clarify this is how will go guys,
If you are out of contract, pay $199+$36 activation charge for the 16 gb, sign for 2 more years and go to show off.
Then, even if you have more than a year of contract, you still are eligible to upgrade, so you pay $199+$36 activ. + $250 for AT&T's greed.

AT&T's greed? In the scenario that you describe, YOU are choosing to not fulfill the contract that you signed when you got your last phone on that account. The requirement for a 2 year contract is there to allow the provider to recoup their investment in your device - given to you in the form of an equipment subsidy. If you upgrade earlier than they allow, you cost them money, and the $250 early upgrade fee is to offset their loss on the first device.

I understand that (1) everyone wants the latest, greatest, shiny new toy, and (2) provider fees are out of control in a lot of cases, but this one is both self-inflicted and legitimate, IMHO.

I Monarch

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I understand that (1) everyone wants the latest, greatest, shiny new toy, and (2) provider fees are out of control in a lot of cases, but this one is both self-inflicted and legitimate, IMHO.

This is the Internet. We're hear to complain about AT&T and corporate greed. Don't ruin it with facts.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711