Airplane Mode on the 4S

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Hey all - I have a question for those of you that use the airplane mode(AP mode) function on your 4S. The past month, i decided to start using it instead of the vibe toggle on the side of the phone and also to preserve more battery life if possible. Prior to using AP mode, i would lose up to 7% during the night, now using AP mode i only lose 1-4%. Which leads me to my confusion, see below:

Normally i switch to AP mode about 9pm & turn it off in the morning about 7am. During those hours i've seen my battery lose as minimal as 1-2%, but as much as 4%. Now, last night i switched to AP mode at 8:45pm to be exact. My battery was at 42% with 4h 39m of usage. When i woke this morning, i lost 4% and i then checked my usage, which had jumped to 4h 50m. So i was at 38% with an additional 11 minutes of usage more than the night before. This has happened to me before where my usage had increased itself, one time was by almost 20mins more. Its not often this happens, but i'm clueless as to why. I've called Apple and spoke with a tech, they also had no answer except to maybe a guilty app.

Now, from my understanding, when you switch to AP mode, ALL transmitted data & wifi gets turned off. I've gone as far as to check all my app data, and nothing has changed. I've also logged into my Verizon account to see if my data usage had any stats pop up - nothing. In fact my data usage for my 30 day time frame is within my normal use - 212MB. Normally i fall between 150-200MB, so nothing unusual happening there.

Also, just to add, when i switch to AP mode, my wifi is set to OFF. I also have 2 email accts that are set to fetch hourly - BUT could it be that even tho i'm in AP mode, the phone still tries to check for email sometimes, but other times it doesn't? The only other app that i have that pulls for updates is Fahrenheit, which i think is every hr - the app doesnt specify

I'm just curious if anyone else has noticed things like this while they're in AP mode as well - like i said, this doesn't happen all the time, but the very few times it did - i have no explanation for & was wondering if anyone might be able to share some further info on AP mode that i may not be aware of:)

sorry for the lengthy post, i'm just trying to be as thorough as possible with any info!
Apps that i have installed: Keeper, MapQuest, Bank of America, Apple Store, Amazon Shop, WordSearch Star, Cut the Rope, Backgrounds wp, Wallpaper HD, TuneIn radio, the Weather Channel & Farenheit. I have location OFF for any apps this would apply to that i have also. The only thing i have location ON for is Siri.
Thanks!!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
My guess would be that although all wireless connections are disabled when Airplane Mode is enabled, the
apps that fetch or check for updates periodically spend time seeking a connection to fetch and update before canceling itself and that may consume the amount of battery that you mentioned.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

Reactions: ThePinkChameleon

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
My guess would be that although all wireless connections are disabled when Airplane Mode is enabled, the
apps that fetch or check for updates periodically spend time seeking a connection to fetch and update before canceling itself and that may consume the amount of battery that you mentioned.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

D, this was my thoughts also - which would apply to my 2 Aol email addys set to fetch hourly and the Fahrenheit weather app that updates itself. Its the only thing that would make sense to me too.

Also, about a half hour after i posted this, i failed to mention that i have a daily alarm set M-F to go off at 6:20am - i often 'snooze' each time it sounds it till 6:55am. The other thought that crossed my mind would be that the time the alarm spend 'sounding off' before i hit the snooze button would count towards usage time as well ??? I mean, that would make sense also i think.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
D, this was my thoughts also - which would apply to my 2 Aol email addys set to fetch hourly and the Fahrenheit weather app that updates itself. Its the only thing that would make sense to me too.

Also, about a half hour after i posted this, i failed to mention that i have a daily alarm set M-F to go off at 6:20am - i often 'snooze' each time it sounds it till 6:55am. The other thought that crossed my mind would be that the time the alarm spend 'sounding off' before i hit the snooze button would count towards usage time as well ??? I mean, that would make sense also i think.

I would think so, but I doubt the alarm uses a lot of battery. I think the majority comes from the apps spending time trying to establish a connection to fetch and update. If the connection was already established, they would just fetch & update without wasting time seeking a connection first. Know what I mean?

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

Reactions: ThePinkChameleon

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I would think so, but I doubt the alarm uses a lot of battery. I think the majority comes from the apps spending time trying to establish a connection to fetch and update. If the connection was already established, they would just fetch & update without wasting time seeking a connection first. Know what I mean?

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

:) yes, I understand what your saying. Well, then, I gues it's just one of those things that it is what it is deal. It doesn't happen often where the battery loses more than 2% or the usage is more than what would be unusual, but more of me being curious as to when it happens what is the cause.

Thanks for your replies, D:) one of these days I'll be dropping in by one of the Apple stores near me just for the heck of it, and if I think of it, perhaps I'll pick a Genius' brain and see what they may come up with. If and when I do, I'll post here;)

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
:) yes, I understand what your saying. Well, then, I gues it's just one of those things that it is what it is deal. It doesn't happen often where the battery loses more than 2% or the usage is more than what would be unusual, but more of me being curious as to when it happens what is the cause.

Thanks for your replies, D:) one of these days I'll be dropping in by one of the Apple stores near me just for the heck of it, and if I think of it, perhaps I'll pick a Genius' brain and see what they may come up with. If and when I do, I'll post here;)

You're very welcome, my friend, and thank you. Enjoy the rest of your evening, Pink. ;)

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77