Battery life issues?

sean.peters

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
My battery life issues came on suddenly...

I had pre-ordered a 4S and it was waiting for me when I got back after some travel around 18 October. I really didn't understand the big hue and cry about battery life... until Wednesday. The phone had been working perfectly with normal battery life, and I was somewhat bemused about all the reports of battery issues. But then I got home this past Wednesday night, spent some time surfing the web on the phone, then after dinner, retired for the evening. Looked at the phone and the battery indicator was... unusually low. Didn't think too much of it as I had been using it a little more than usual. But then...

In the morning it was completely dead. Charged it for a while before work, then in the car all the way to work. It was fully charged when I got there. I didn't use it at all during the day, but about mid-afternoon, I got a text while in a meeting with a customer. Again - battery unusually low. I also noticed that the phone felt quite a bit hotter than normal in my pocket. By the time I got out of the meeting, the phone was dead - again. Charged it up again in the car for a while. Got home, charged it some more. It was fully charged when I went to bed around midnight. In the morning: dead as a doornail.

Not sure what suddenly brought on the battery life issue after a couple weeks of normal life - but ever since this past Wednesday the thing can't get through half a day without completely dying. The phone always seems to be unusually hot in my pocket, which makes me think there's some kind of runaway process going on. I'm not aware of anything about the setup of the phone that I may have changed that would cause such a sudden decrease in battery life. I've tried as many of the usual tricks as I can stand (obviously the phone isn't very useful I keep it in airplane mode all the time), without much success. Hopefully 5.0.1 gets here sooner rather than later.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I had pre-ordered a 4S and it was waiting for me when I got back after some travel around 18 October. I really didn't understand the big hue and cry about battery life... until Wednesday. The phone had been working perfectly with normal battery life, and I was somewhat bemused about all the reports of battery issues. But then I got home this past Wednesday night, spent some time surfing the web on the phone, then after dinner, retired for the evening. Looked at the phone and the battery indicator was... unusually low. Didn't think too much of it as I had been using it a little more than usual. But then...

In the morning it was completely dead. Charged it for a while before work, then in the car all the way to work. It was fully charged when I got there. I didn't use it at all during the day, but about mid-afternoon, I got a text while in a meeting with a customer. Again - battery unusually low. I also noticed that the phone felt quite a bit hotter than normal in my pocket. By the time I got out of the meeting, the phone was dead - again. Charged it up again in the car for a while. Got home, charged it some more. It was fully charged when I went to bed around midnight. In the morning: dead as a doornail.

Not sure what suddenly brought on the battery life issue after a couple weeks of normal life - but ever since this past Wednesday the thing can't get through half a day without completely dying. The phone always seems to be unusually hot in my pocket, which makes me think there's some kind of runaway process going on. I'm not aware of anything about the setup of the phone that I may have changed that would cause such a sudden decrease in battery life. I've tried as many of the usual tricks as I can stand (obviously the phone isn't very useful I keep it in airplane mode all the time), without much success. Hopefully 5.0.1 gets here sooner rather than later.

That sounds way worse than just a iOS issue the hot and 100 to 0 overnight is not normal even for this issue going on .. I would take it to apple have them run a test on your battery could be hardware

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Globe101

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
My battery life has never been bad in the iPhone 4S, it just runs out before the night ends sometime. Nothing like the 20% loss per hour. I usually get 6-7 hours usage with 12 hours standby before it runs out. However what i did 2 nights ago was drain mg battery till the end and did a full recharge. I closed all running apps, but on full brightness without antilock till my phone dies, so it starts up fresh. Anyway, 2 days into it, I'm getting 9 hours usage and 13 hours stand by AND it hasn't hit 20% battery left. Perhaps it was a bad batch that got the battery-gate. I use remindrs and constantly have appointments in my calendar, I YouTube a lot throughout the day and hundreds of messages etc. all features are on, Siri raise to speech, locational time, push email etc. it is blasphemous needing to disable features

Long story short, drained my battery to recharge it to keep all the ions running. Will uploads pics for skeptical.

golfgal

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Yes - I had terrible battery issues as well. I called Apple Tech Support and they made an appointment at the Genius Bar at a nearby Apple store to have them swap out my phone for another one. The new one seems to be quite a bit better, but I'm still anxious to get the updated OS so that I can make full use of all the cool features of the phone instead of leaving most of them turned off all the time.

Reactions: chronictacos

KUngFuKev

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
My battery has gotten progressively worse since I got my device. I gave up and turned on everything and have a charger at every place I end up.

ab13

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Very happy with the battery life on my iPhone 4S. I have not turned off any location features nor taken anything out of the notification screen and average 7-8 hours of usage and ~20 hours of standby per charge.

Rosansam

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site

Exact same thing with my wife's phone. The first 2 weeks her battery life was even better than mine. Now she'll be lucky to get 12 hours of just standby. Not sure wether to take it to the store now or wait for the update.

DM-37

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
killing background running apps seems to really help.

Bingo! That should be the first thing people try when experiencing battery drain issues. I wasn't experiencing the degree of problems some people have, but I noticed that closing background running apps is a big help in preserving battery life.

DrewBear

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
My battery life has been excellent, but yesterday something happened to kick that grade down a notch. My usage stats are normally around 6 hrs. of use, 20 hrs. of standby ending up with well over 30% battery after a typical full charge overnight. Yesterday I hit the 20% mark. Still no danger of running out of battery life during a normal day's use, but I'm not sure what happened.

This morning I noticed that the first hour of use brought my battery level to 90%, but the 2nd hour only brought it down to 85%. Same types of usage during both hours, so again it's puzzling.

This recent "issue" of mine doesn't come close to the types of problems other people have been reporting. I just note it here as another data point. I haven't yet fully drained my battery, so I will run lots of video to get that done today.

jtrevill

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
I was recently in a building with very poor signal. I noticed as well that my phone was getting very warm. Then I looked at my battery and I could watch the % fall. Over the span of about 30 minutes I lost almost 20% of my battery as it tried to deal with the poor signal. Ended up turning off the phone to save itself from dying!

durbin

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if this has been posted yet, there's too many pages to read. I did turn off the auto-clock feature, which perhaps helped a little. I have wifi at home and my office, and had the iphone set up to be on both. I found that turning off wifi has improved battery life dramatically, not sure if it's measurable yet, but it feels about 20% better. I don't need wifi often and can easily reconnect if downloading a large file, so for now am leaving it off and hopefully will experience much better batter life.

DrewBear

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
My battery life has been excellent, but yesterday something happened to kick that grade down a notch. My usage stats are normally around 6 hrs. of use, 20 hrs. of standby ending up with well over 30% battery after a typical full charge overnight. Yesterday I hit the 20% mark. Still no danger of running out of battery life during a normal day's use, but I'm not sure what happened.

This morning I noticed that the first hour of use brought my battery level to 90%, but the 2nd hour only brought it down to 85%. Same types of usage during both hours, so again it's puzzling.

This recent "issue" of mine doesn't come close to the types of problems other people have been reporting. I just note it here as another data point. I haven't yet fully drained my battery, so I will run lots of video to get that done today.

Update: I ran my iPhone until the battery level went to zero, then charged it to 100% before using it again. This morning it took two hours of use to bring the level down to 90%. That is a more like what I'd experienced the first few weeks.

Judson50

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Do you see any issues?

So I do have battery issues and I've attached this log to see what the things running the most.

Does anyone have any thoughts or does it all look good?

Judson

Judson50

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Just so everyone is in loop.

My phone is running the following

177 System
172 Profiled
80 Mobile Phone
78 absinthed.n94
72 networkd
66btserver
61 aggregated
60 apsd
54 dataaccessed

I dont' know what any of these things do; but I've been awake for 50 minutes and lost 5% battery.

I've turned off the following:

• notification center - NOTHING goes into it.
  • All email is set to - manual
  • location services - off
  • I kill every app when i get out of it

Is this really how iPhone is? or is just a fluke until 5.0.1 comes out?

I came from a blackberry 9700 - which I know has the best battery on the market (easly 2 days w/ 6 emails, 4 twitter, 1 facebook all set to PUSH; Pandora stream for at minimum of 4 hours a day and heavy web surfing) I feel if I did that on an iPhone I would kill it in 4 hours.

Any thoughts? Is any of this realistic to expect from an iphone?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2