Email setup required?

222wekebu

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi,
I am helping out a friend with her iphone 3g (the first model). I've never even held one (Windows Phone, now Android user), please don't hold that against me. :D

She wants to remove her email account from the phone. I can find out how to do that, but I thought I heard that iphones required that you have an itunes account, does that tie into the email account? Are there any unforeseen problems that will happen? Like the contacts disappear? Or, is there a way to lock just the email section of the phone, so family members can't read her email, yet still use the phone if needed?

AStranger

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
There's no way to lock just the email section.

If you go to settings -> Mail, Contacts, Calendars

Then you'll see the mail accounts and if you select the account in question there is a button to delete the account. Of course, after you delete it you would have to recreate it to see any email from that account again.

It shouldn't affect the contacts at all and you wouldn't need itunes to do it.

JNHohol

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
You need an iTunes account to activate the phone but if they activate it at the store, you could theoretically use it without one. I had to set up an iTunes account for a lady's iPhone 3GS that was still on 3.0 and had never been synced. She never downloaded an app!!!:eek:

If you jailbreak the iPhone, there are hacks that let you passcode individual apps but using a jailbroken iPhone may be a little too much for her. ;)

PS-If she (you) set up her gmail account as an exchange account, it would be similar to the Android's setup with email, contacts, and calendar.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2