iPhone Car Chargers

Uplink

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
So I have been wanting to get one, especially if I use the Navigon app in my car, it will drain the battery... I am not sure which charger to get though.

For $30 I can get the Verizon iPhone charger that is probably the best bet on reliability
- Set Your Location

For $12 I could get the Elago Micro USB Auto Charger, which is made to fit USB cords into it
- Amazon.com: elago Micro USB Auto Charger for iPhone 4/3G/3GS, Verizon iPhone 4G and Other Device with USB Port: Cell Phones & Accessories

I am thinking the 9 foot coil cord on the Verizon charger would make it worth the price. But what do yall think? And what kind of car charger would you guys choose? Even if it isn't one of these 2.

coltsbr

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I would get one from Apple or Verizon. In the past with my 3GS I found that if you get cheap chargers they can affect battery life. I got mine from Verizon.

shipwrestler125

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I have got some 3rd party ones before and they dont seem to charge the battery nearly as well as the ones from verizon. I would fork the extra money over to be more reliable and know that you are getting a true charge

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm looking at these: http://store.tipb.com/verizon-iphone-4-chargers-and-cables.htm

From the ones above, Griffin is a brand that Apple sells in their own stores.

$30 for a car charger is ridiculous. They wholesale for less than $2. Why do you think Verizon & other providers pressure people into buying accessories? High profit margin. Which isn't a bad thing, mind you - but when you can get the same quality item for half price somewhere else...

shipwrestler125

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm looking at these: http://store.tipb.com/verizon-iphone-4-chargers-and-cables.htm

$30 for a car charger is ridiculous. They wholesale for less than $2. Why do you think Verizon & other providers pressure people into buying accessories? High profit margin. Which isn't a bad thing, mind you - but when you can get the same quality item for half price somewhere else...

Its all about making money. All the accessories they sell are highly overpriced. You can probably get a brand name off of ebay for about half of what verizon charges.

coltsbr

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Im sure there are a few good chargers out there. What I'm saying from past experience is that if you use a cheap imitation charger it will do more harm than good to the phone and battery. My son has all but trashed his iPhone using one of those cheap $10.00 chargers from china on eBay. There are a lot of us that are paying full retail for these devices and paying an extra $10 or $15 bucks for a good charger is well worth it to me. A least if I get one from Apple or Verizon and something does happen because of the charger we have some recourse. I would rather have that than have to take my phone back to Apple with a problem and them tell me its because I was using a charger with the wrong input voltage. Just my thoughts.

shipwrestler125

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Im sure there are a few good chargers out there. What I'm saying from past experience is that if you use a cheap imitation charger it will do more harm than good to the phone and battery. My son has all but trashed his iPhone using one of those cheap $10.00 chargers from china on eBay. There are a lot of us that are paying full retail for these devices and paying an extra $10 or $15 bucks for a good charger is well worth it to me. A least if I get one from Apple or Verizon and something does happen because of the charger we have some recourse. I would rather have that than have to take my phone back to Apple with a problem and them tell me its because I was using a charger with the wrong input voltage. Just my thoughts.

I agree 100% I used a cheap non brand car charger on my one droid and it made the battery worse so im going to spend the little extra for a brand name for my iphone. Luckily I have a gift card for verizon anyway so I can use that to get one.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
You can find the very same ones Verizon sells for $30 for half that or less with different packaging if one looks around.

iPhone uPhone

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
So I have been wanting to get one, especially if I use the Navigon app in my car, it will drain the battery... I am not sure which charger to get though.

For $30 I can get the Verizon iPhone charger that is probably the best bet on reliability
- Set Your Location

For $12 I could get the Elago Micro USB Auto Charger, which is made to fit USB cords into it
- Amazon.com: elago Micro USB Auto Charger for iPhone 4/3G/3GS, Verizon iPhone 4G and Other Device with USB Port: Cell Phones & Accessories

I am thinking the 9 foot coil cord on the Verizon charger would make it worth the price. But what do yall think? And what kind of car charger would you guys choose? Even if it isn't one of these 2.

The charger from Verizon is made by Xentris, do a search and you can find that same charger at least $10 cheaper. Best Buy has it for 19.99. Happy Shopping! :eek:

Reactions: Uplink

skeletongloves

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
what are the actual physical differences between a "good" and "bad" charger? i went with the el cheapo deluxe model from amazon but i dont want to use it if its going to destroy my phone.

Uplink

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site

Thanks, yeah I trust Griffin. May get this one http://store.tipb.com/griffin-powerjolt-se-coiled-cable/5A47A3929.htm the only thing, does anyone know if it supports charging with the 64GB iTouch 3G? I have had a wall charger and another car charger/transmitter that worked on all other ipods except my iTouch 64GB. Other people have had that same problem.

jmill79

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Quick question, I plan on getting the Ipad 2 when it comes out. Ive heard that those (Ipads in general) require the 2 amp version of the car chargers, would these also work with the ViP? I'd be nice to just have one car charger for both.

eternal76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I found a car charger at Burlington Coat Factory for $7.99, didn't want to get the overpriced one from Verizon. Hopefully I won't have any issues with it.

LooNTooNs

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I am looking for one with a "line out" option. This way I can just plug in the dock and always have the line in to the aux. Also with the line out, you don't have to adjust the iPhone volume.

anon(1733)

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I purchased a offical Att iPhone car charger from ebay new in retail packaging for 10.95 from ebay. Search OEM Att iphone 4 car charger. It is official and is brand new for a third of the price.

Here is one example from ebay item#150510184680. Sorry I dont know how to post links.

Last edited:

Chadwackg

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I thought about a car charger but then I realized I have a built in car charger since I have a laptop in my car on a docking station at all times :) its good to work from your car. But if I was going to get one I would buy one from the TiPb store!

Darth-gamer

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
You know, sometimes I realize I am being ripped off, or I shouldn't even say being ripped off, but perhaps overcharged. I did realize that with the iPhone car charge and did not expect any different. I just figured "Hey, to have the car charger with overnight shipping from a trusted company be here on the same day, even in he same package as the iPhone, I'll go ahead an splurge the extra $10/15."

Sometimes I just do that for convenience, and I know we all do. Look at bottled water.

Chadwackg

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
You know, sometimes I realize I am being ripped off, or I shouldn't even say being ripped off, but perhaps overcharged. I did realize that with the iPhone car charge and did not expect any different. I just figured "Hey, to have the car charger with overnight shipping from a trusted company be here on the same day, even in he same package as the iPhone, I'll go ahead an splurge the extra $10/15."

Sometimes I just do that for convenience, and I know we all do. Look at bottled water.

So true Darth. Sometimes the convenience is well worth the extra money. :D

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2