Skype questions

Elvis

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I have been to the Skype site and did a search here and haven't found the answers I need so I will post and see what happens.

I have an annual plan with Skype, the Canada/US plan. Unlimited calling to any line from my iphone. Can I use this to make local calls from my iphone?

Secondly, can I use a Skype number to do the following? I want to forward my cell number to my Skpe number so my local family and business contacts can reach me when I'm out of the country without me paying the roaming costs if they call my cell number directly. I live in Canada but spend 2-3 months a year vacationing in the U.S.

Thanks in advance!

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Yes, you can make local calls with skype.

As far as forwarding...if i recall correctly, it will not function in this fashion as it will continue to charge you because the call is routed through the original number and continues transmitting the signal even if skype picks up the call...something like that. Basically, they knew people would attempt to do that so they made sure it wouldn't work.

Reactions: Elvis

Elvis

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I thought maybe that might be the case. Where I struggle with this is that Skype says I can get a "Skype number" from this area code (where I reside) so wouldn't that be the number where the roaming or long distance charges would apply? Confusing, to me atleast. :cool:

I love the fact that I can use this locally because I don't have to use my minutes provided from my carrier. After 6pm and weekends I get free so I don't care at these times.

Dude495

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Couldn't you disable the phone connection (if jailbroken in SBSettings) and use WiFi Only for Skype? This way the calls get forwarded without actually going to the phone?

Not sure if that actually works but seems like it could...Or would it just go right to voicemail then?

Elvis

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Im not jail broken. I just got back north from Florida and I used my Skype exclusively on wifi and it worked well, the down fall of this is of course is that you need to be someplace where wifi is available or get a local data plan. I will be returning in a couple of weeks and plan on trying to purchase a pay as you go data plan from ATT, Im told they don`t sell them but I will try. The ultimate for me would be to forward my home and business lines to my iphone to a Skype number, staying intouch with everyone I need to at no cost. I can dream can`t I...:D

The Skype web site is the worst I have ever seen for FAQ's and support, just horrible. I read about the "Skype Numbers" on the site and it mentions that it functions on a computer. I see no reference where it mentions even being able to work on a smart phone. I haven't gotten the skype number yet I was hoping to get more insight from here. Sooner or later I`ll get everything figured out. :confused:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2