unlocked iphone with dead touchscreen spot, no wifi, and sleep mode lock

jacian

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
I know, this thing is a mess. :) I recently bought an iphone for a hundred bucks. I own an AT&T black Razr and put its SIM card into the iphone. I didn't want the data plan so I pwned it with pwnage tool 2.2.5 and firmware package iPhone1,1_2.2.1_5H11. I had success doing the operation, and the phone booted up fine and will make calls. I used BossPrefs to disable EDGE so I wouldnt' be charged for the data. Anyway, two things happened that have ruined the experience and got me stuck. First of all, is that the fourth row of icons on the home screen are untouchable. I cannot click them. I had to tap everywhere along the box to dismiss the "touch the home screen icons to move" popup that came when I first booted it up. When I do a scroll with anything scrollable it will start to scroll and then jump back up as if I let go once I hit that certain spot; and as I continue to move my finger down, it'll realize I'm scrolling "again" and pop back into place. However, I know this isn't a hardware failure (least I think it's not) because the keyboard works fine. I can write a whole note and also dial numbers, but when it comes to scroling or panning or pinch to zoom, it fails in that fourth row area. When I try to tap on an icon, say, in the center of the fourth row, it'll jump to the next slide screen as if I touched the far edge. It must be some software glitch. If i restore to an apple firmware and just activate it legally, will it still have this problem? Any ideas? I contacted the original owner, who had never unlocked/jailbroken etc. it, and he said he had no problems with it. It must be a result of the firmware. Would restoring and activating it legally help its functionality? I sure don't want to pay for data though.

Secondly, the WiFi is not working. The "searching" wheel will stay spinning but it will not connect. Is this a problem with BossPrefs? Or something that screwed up the wifi connectivity? All Wi-Fi is activated, but it won't see any networks. Any ideas? Suggestions? The whole point of me buying and unlocking the phone was to use it as a phone and then use my college's wireless for everything else.

Lastly, when the iphone enters sleep mode, it won't recognizing incoming calls. I've called it from my home phone several times. When it's active (screen on) it will accept incoming calls just fine. But when it goes to sleep (after a certain time) it will not wake up for any calls.

I know that others haven't had problems like this when they've unlocked their phones. Any ideas as to what the deal is?

You guys are awesome. Thank you,
~jace

jacian

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, the guy who I bought it from said that it was fine when he used it. I was able to talk him down to a hundred bucks because it was my birthday. He originally wanted 175 :)

~jace

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Yeah, the guy who I bought it from said that it was fine when he used it. I was able to talk him down to a hundred bucks because it was my birthday. He originally wanted 175 :)

~jace

Sounds like you got one pulled over on you. Only thing you can do is restore it back to normal and try again. (2.2 firmware only, not 2.2.1 since you would not be able to unlock it again)

Good luck.

jacian

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
Okay, so I'm going to get rid of it. I restored it to the latest iTunes firmare (as in set it into recovery mode and let it download the update) how do I remove all effects of the unlocking/jailbreak/etc. Do I need to do something to make it look like I never unlocked it in the first place?

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2