Really considering selling iphone

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
The 2.1 patch will be the final test as Sprint is finally getting some worthwhile devices in the 800w, Diamond, and Touch Pro with the latter looking especially good.

I have to ask myself if this iphone is worth 50 more dollars a month with at&T. It's the browser and screen that hooked me into the iphone but the diamond promises a similar experience. To be worth that 50 extra, this phone has to be much better than it is now.

Either way, i'll be making a decision before christmas whether to eat the ETF at at&T and move back to Sprint. As it is, i'm more than a bit sick of resetting this phone, having multi-hour syncs, random lag (which is bad), dropped calls, and still a poor choice of apps which apple must give their approval on.

I want to keep this phone. But i only have so much tolerance..

Anyone else waiting to see if 2.1 will be decision time for you?

rdk2

Sep 8, 2008
Visit site
I agree. I am extremely disappointed with the iPhone. None of the apps or the iPod are working (again.) I will wait and see if 2.1 fixes things.

JNHohol

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
I am a former Sprint customer that sucked it up and will be paying my ETF here shortly. What kind of crash problems are you having? I have 46 apps currently loaded on my iPhone along with 10 gigs of music and video and I don't have many issues with app freezing.

I am hoping that 2.1 addresses some of the data connectivity issues I have had. I am only having them at home, so I can deal with it. With 2.0, I was surfing on Edge with no problem, but since 2.0.1 & 2.0.2, I can't connect reliably to Edge anymore and I have a strong Edge signal at the house. But, this is not a deal breaker for me.

As a former BlackBerry user, I used to have to reset my phone daily, and I was limited to 14 mb of free native memory, so if I didn't remember to reset my phone, it would do it for me. I also would loose text message and email history. I couldn't reliably listen to music, watch videos, and google maps was out of the question (it ate up too much memory). The iPhone is much more stable & powerful phone, though it has a few limitations. (native file email, cut & paste, etc.)

Do you get a Sprint Discount? The cheapest voice & data plan they had when I left was 69.99. They are all about Sprint's "Simply Everything" plan.

Some things I have notice that help are:

-Don't open different apps while you are installing or updating an app until is is completely finished.
-Turn off email Fetch and push while installing or updating an app.

For syncing, I saw a good tip to turn the phone into airplane mode, that way the phone isn't interrupted. Also, the first sync or sync's after a large amount of memory has changed (movies, tv shows, large groups of songs) or new or changed apps makes the backup and sync longer. The backup is usually the part that takes the longest, I sometimes click the (x) in the title box when it shows the backup status and it skips to just syncing the contacts, calenders, music, etc.

brightcell

Dec 3, 2004
Visit site
I am still holding on my 2G iphone and hoping that 2.1 will fix many problems the 3G has.
1.4 was much better for me but I can't really complain besides some lags. I don't have resets nor crashes.

Sprint was my previous carrier. Data was really good and my plan was a SERO plan but not being able to get any phone out was not fun. Btw, the Treo Pro is a GSM phone so you won't be able to use it on Sprint.

I agree though; the iphone can do so much more if only Apple will open a little more the OS.

Good luck with your decision.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
For that reason i wouldn't consider the treo pro, not when the 800w is on sprint. But like i said, the iphone's screen drew me in and so i'm pretty much past the treo form factor. The HTC touch pro (similar in name to treo pro) could be an alternative but i'd have to play with one.

That said, i think 2.1 is today..so i'll wait and see. Itunes 8 i hear too is coming so maybe things will improve. I wouldn't mind a sprint airwave type device for at&t..my coverage at home is very weak.

brightcell

Dec 3, 2004
Visit site
Can't wait to upgrade to 2.1 this Friday :)
I really hope it fixes a lot of bugs and get rid of the lags.
Same thing for me about the iphone screen size; it's really hard to give up ;-)