Toughest phone!

sector107

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I have a iPhone 3gs and it's the toughest phone I have ever had. Maybe it was a mistake not using a case, but recently I dropped it 3x in one day. The area around the 1/4 inch input jack is missing a nice little chuck, same goes with the sleep button corner. I have been experiencing trouble with it recently, working a bit slower. The home button is miscalculating, activating voice control with a quick push. The sleep button shutting down the phone with a quick push. My concern is not knowing whether its not calibrated because of the dramatic drops or if it's something else.

Any feedback will be awesome, and please be nice about it. :eek:

Tanbam

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
There's not really any calibration involved, either the buttons are pressed (and the electronic switch is closed) or they aren't.

If you turn off the phone and restart it and the problem is still there, you probably have some hardware issues causing the switches to stick in the closed position. I'm assuming that there is still the normal time delay between the voice control and slide to turn off features are activated.

Do the buttons still "click" when you press them? If not, the contacts may have shifted.

In addition, moisture damage could also cause the same symptoms - in fact, I'd say that corrosion from liquid exposure or debris between the switch contacts is more likely to be the source of the trouble than impact damage. From your description, the case sounds like it's been breached and is no longer providing much defense from dirt or pocket lint.

Reactions: sector107

sector107

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
There's not really any calibration involved, either the buttons are pressed (and the electronic switch is closed) or they aren't.

If you turn off the phone and restart it and the problem is still there, you probably have some hardware issues causing the switches to stick in the closed position. I'm assuming that there is still the normal time delay between the voice control and slide to turn off features are activated.

Do the buttons still "click" when you press them? If not, the contacts may have shifted.

In addition, moisture damage could also cause the same symptoms - in fact, I'd say that corrosion from liquid exposure or debris between the switch contacts is more likely to be the source of the trouble than impact damage. From your description, the case sounds like it's been breached and is no longer providing much defense from dirt or pocket lint.
Pocket lint! I do my best to clean it out everyday. The more I thought about it the more I realized that it could be hardware issues. The buttons don't stick, at least from what has been going on. I'm sure it is that damn moisture and dirt from keeping it in my front pocket all day at work. At home it's mostly charging usb on the MacBook. I guess in the subconscious level I'm wanting a new iPhone, been ranting about one the 4g and 4gs when they came out. I might as well wait for the new iPhone when it's released. At this point though, this phone is still working great other than the little malfunctions. Like I said before the iPhone is a beast when it comes to physical durability. Truly one of the greatest, if not the greatest phone on planet earth.:D