Bricked ipad3? Please help

Xterror

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
Hello everyone. First off I would like to say that I do not own a iPad or iDevice so I'm not too familiar with going about issues. However I can follow directions well and know my way around the computer and Android devices (root, rom, etc) well.

So my teacher today gave me his son's iPad3 64gb and said that his son tried doing the 6.1 update with low battery and the battery died during update. He couldn't fix it after trying so he wanted me to give it a shot. I came home plugged it into my MacBookPro and the itunes symbol with the usb plug came on, itunes told me it was in restore mode and if I wanted to restore. It didn't work and gave me a error 9. I then looked up and saw I had to put it on UDF mode which I was able to do and it starts to look for update, then screen comes on with apple symbol and a status bar and error 9 again. I then read about TinyUmbrella and was able to take it off restore mode but it went into a loop of the apple symbol. I manually downloaded 6.1 firmware, I restarted everything as I saw to try this to fix error 9 and seemed like it fixed error 9 but now itunes saying "The iPad could not be restored. This device isn't eligible for requested build." I tried downloading 6.0.1 and same error. What else should I try? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I've heard of this error being caused from Jailbroken devices and or bad USB connection or cords. Now I'm not saying this is the cause but was it JB? Or try another USB cable or different computer to restore? Just a thought.

Last I would recommend a Genius Bar appointment if there is a near by Apple store.

Xterror

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the reply Garz. I don't know if this was JB, but I have tried different cables and a windows PC at the moment, but no luck yet.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
When you downloaded the firmware, were you careful to choose the correct 6.1? You'll only be able to install 6.1. The intelligible sounds like you grabbed 6.1 for a different device. Is it wifi only or cell as well?

Xterror

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
Yes I made sure to grab the right now, I actually grabbed a few wrongs ones on purpose just to try after the right one didn't work. Those wrong ones tell me right away it's not compatible with the ipad. I mostly get error 9 when trying the right one. I noticed that when I get the "The iPad could not be restored. This device isn't eligible for requested build." error is when I tell tinyumbrella to take it off recovery mode and it changes the ip to apple in the hosts file, I then change it to the correct IP in hosts or comment it out like some other sites suggests and get error 9. I tried every error 9 fix apple sites recommends too. I'm ready to give up, lol. I'll be by an apple store next week, I'll stop by and have them check it out. Thanks again for the suggestions, if anyone has more I'm willing to try anything. I have Mac, windows or linux to try it on.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Yes I made sure to grab the right now, I actually grabbed a few wrongs ones on purpose just to try after the right one didn't work. Those wrong ones tell me right away it's not compatible with the ipad. I mostly get error 9 when trying the right one. I noticed that when I get the "The iPad could not be restored. This device isn't eligible for requested build." error is when I tell tinyumbrella to take it off recovery mode and it changes the ip to apple in the hosts file, I then change it to the correct IP in hosts or comment it out like some other sites suggests and get error 9. I tried every error 9 fix apple sites recommends too. I'm ready to give up, lol. I'll be by an apple store next week, I'll stop by and have them check it out. Thanks again for the suggestions, if anyone has more I'm willing to try anything. I have Mac, windows or linux to try it on.

Make a appointment with the Genius Bar prior. They work on appointments only.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2