lost ipad2 please help me get it back

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
First off I just want to hey to everyone and thanks in advance for any help!

I got an ipad2 as a gift and fell in love with it as i was exploring all the different options within it. But I then had it stolen. yes the best thing that ever came into my life was ripped away before I could even figure everything out about it. I did have the mobile me software installed on it and yes there was a passcode to lock it out. but i have not had any luck in finging it. I was wondering a couple different things. First, would one have to crack the passcode before the mobile me software could locate it? I had verizon 3g service so could they help me in some way to find it? I also read that people could wipe it clean just by hooking it to itunes? If this is true by someone wiping it could I still track it some how? Or is it one of them things that once it gets wiped it is gone and all hope is lost? I dont know I just want my ipad2 back. Please help me understand how all this works and if I just need to forget about it and come to the conclusion that I wont get it back?

thanks for any help!

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
If it has been wiped then your sol it removes everything including the mobile me there is no way to unlock the passcode or crack it so they would have had to wipe to use it.
As far as Verizon 3G if it has a phone number attached to it for service like the galaxy tab then maybe Verizon family locator and track the gps from the esn ? I would call and def ask.

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
If it has been wiped then your sol it removes everything including the mobile me there is no way to unlock the passcode or crack it so they would have had to wipe to use it.
As far as Verizon 3G if it has a phone number attached to it for service like the galaxy tab then maybe Verizon family locator and track the gps from the esn ? I would call and def ask.

awsome...i guess im sol...i did have a phone number linked to it but someone else just told me that you can disable that part of it and if the person was smart enough to wipe it clean then im sure they would of been smart enough to just disable the 3g part as well, cause the way the other person explained it to me it is just a on off buttom just like wifi...so just to recap and make sure i got this right...if someone wiped it and verizon cant help then im sol...apple wont help in no way? how about if they try to register it with apple through itunes? will that send a error code considering i already have it registered?thanks for any help

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Possibly but they might have tried to use it since it was free service It is just a toggle switch thou in the settings..but I u reported it stolen then the esn is blacklisted anyways I would def call Verizon or go into a store.to see if they can locate it. Once the device is wiped it don't matter what apple Id u had it is gone and they can just use there own apple I'd just controls what music and apps you buy. I'm sorry that I can't help more it sucks I hate people what steal others stuff.

My wife works for Verizon customer care from her knowledge if you reported it she don't think they will activate it to track it.
If you haven't reported it yet and by chance they decide to use the 3G on it I would sign up for the family locator software and the. Track it of they are using 3G that is your last shot. She also said Verizon or tech support can track it but won't without a court order .
Sorry :(

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Possibly but they might have tried to use it since it was free service It is just a toggle switch thou in the settings..but I u reported it stolen then the esn is blacklisted anyways I would def call Verizon or go into a store.to see if they can locate it. Once the device is wiped it don't matter what apple Id u had it is gone and they can just use there own apple I'd just controls what music and apps you buy. I'm sorry that I can't help more it sucks I hate people what steal others stuff.

My wife works for Verizon customer care from her knowledge if you reported it she don't think they will activate it to track it.
If you haven't reported it yet and by chance they decide to use the 3G on it I would sign up for the family locator software and the. Track it of they are using 3G that is your last shot. She also said Verizon or tech support can track it but won't without a court order .
Sorry :(

ok, thanks for all the input and knowledge. a couple more questions for you since you know a bunch more than i know, if you dont mind sir. What is the esn? and what is an apple id? and how would they use their apple id? and how does that control what music and apps they can put on the ipad? i hate to ask you all these questions but i dont know that much about these ipads and even though mine was stold im gonna buy another one.also what does it mean to be on the blacklist?

also i just talked to verizon and they said the same thing that your wife said in that they cant look for it because of privacy issues. and they need a court order.

thanks for any help

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
While Verizon won't look for it they can block the iPad 2's ESN to prevent whoever stole it from activating it on their 3G network. However, the WiFi feature would still work for whoever took it. I'm sorry that this happened and I hope the guy who took it gets his someday.

---
- Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk.

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
While Verizon won't look for it they can block the iPad 2's ESN to prevent whoever stole it from activating it on their 3G network. However, the WiFi feature would still work for whoever took it. I'm sorry that this happened and I hope the guy who took it gets his someday.

---
- Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk.

ok so they wont be able to get verizon service but they can still use the wifi...right?...thanks i guess im just sol...

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm not totally clear...did you try to locate it yourself using the Find My iPhone feature at me.com?

i tried to locate it using the mobile me and had no luck...it seems like they must either have it off or maybe they wiped it so now i am just sol...i guess i will just write this off as a lost and buy another one.

thanks

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
ok so they wont be able to get verizon service but they can still use the wifi...right?...thanks i guess im just sol...
Yes, unfortunately once the device is wiped whoever took it could just use the WiFi feature. It would be nice if in cases like yours, WiFi could also be blocked as well. If you get another iPad with Verizon maybe get their insurance for Tablets added on your line. I forget how much it is off hand, but I know it covers lost/stolen.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
i tried to locate it using the mobile me and had no luck...it seems like they must either have it off or maybe they wiped it so now i am just sol...i guess i will just write this off as a lost and buy another one.

thanks

When you set your iPad up, did you install the "Find my iPhone" app and set it up? That app still needs to be installed on the iPad in order for it to be tracked via Mobile Me.

niteowl77

Aug 23, 2011
www.a2binteractive.com
First off I just want to hey to everyone and thanks in advance for any help!

I got an ipad2 as a gift and fell in love with it as i was exploring all the different options within it. But I then had it stolen. yes the best thing that ever came into my life was ripped away before I could even figure everything out about it. I did have the mobile me software installed on it and yes there was a passcode to lock it out. but i have not had any luck in finging it. I was wondering a couple different things. First, would one have to crack the passcode before the mobile me software could locate it? I had verizon 3g service so could they help me in some way to find it? I also read that people could wipe it clean just by hooking it to itunes? If this is true by someone wiping it could I still track it some how? Or is it one of them things that once it gets wiped it is gone and all hope is lost? I dont know I just want my ipad2 back. Please help me understand how all this works and if I just need to forget about it and come to the conclusion that I wont get it back?

thanks for any help!

Do you do the Find my iPhone?

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
When you set your iPad up, did you install the "Find my iPhone" app and set it up? That app still needs to be installed on the iPad in order for it to be tracked via Mobile Me.

Do you do the Find my iPhone?

yes i had "find my ipad" but if they wiped it then its gone and that is why i cant find it using the mobile me program. but do you have any other way that may help me find my ipad?

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Yes, unfortunately once the device is wiped whoever took it could just use the WiFi feature. It would be nice if in cases like yours, WiFi could also be blocked as well. If you get another iPad with Verizon maybe get their insurance for Tablets added on your line. I forget how much it is off hand, but I know it covers lost/stolen.

yeah i have that so it looks like i will just have to pay a deducible and then i will get another one.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
yeah i have that so it looks like i will just have to pay a deducible and then i will get another one.

I am very glad to hear that at least you had insurance on your iPad. The deductible is going to cost you a lot less than what a new iPad would. It sounds to me like your iPad has already been wiped and that is why you are unable to track it via Mobile Me.

verwon

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
If you registered it with Apple, there's a log of the serial number, so you can report it to the police, at least.

Mistress of Mischief

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
I am very glad to hear that at least you had insurance on your iPad. The deductible is going to cost you a lot less than what a new iPad would. It sounds to me like your iPad has already been wiped and that is why you are unable to track it via Mobile Me.

yeah well thanks for all the help but its ok i will just get another one. hate it happened but i guess that life.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2